Author Topic: Cannot upload picture  (Read 1454 times)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
Cannot upload picture
« on: April 12, 2022, 09:35:55 »
For a couple of weeks now, I have been unable to upload pictures. When I press post, I just get a blank page and no post appears. The files are within the size limits.

What is going on?
Kim

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Cannot upload picture
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 10:05:56 »
File format or size is OK? Check whether extension is jpg.

If the trouble persists, send the file to me via e-mail and I'll post it for you.

The NG server has not reached any storage limits as far as we are aware of.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 11:32:35 »
The reason for the failure was very simple: the pixel dimensions corresponded to a file size of 50MB or so.

Do reduce *pixel* dimension to at most 2000 pix on the longest side, and ensure the actual file size is max. 2MB. Then it will upload just fine.

The one you sent me is here. I added some sharpening to offset the size reduction, otherwise the image is unchanged.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:34:22 »
Addendum: if you wish to show the image in the intended thread, there is no need to upload it again. Just use the following image URL in the IMG box.

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10387.0;attach=53435;image

Colourful birds by the way,  but not what I would denote as 'pretty'. However, what do I know about birds?

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 12:59:13 »
Thanks Birna,

Yes, I forgot about the pixel dimensions and only looked at the final file size.

But, it would be nice if the system could give a warning of this problem. The instruction for attachments just say:

"Allowed file types: gif, jpg, txt, jpeg, pdf, png
Restrictions: 10 per post, maximum total size 10240KB, maximum individual size 2560KB"

Kim

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 13:47:57 »
It is not immediately evident that during the upload process, the file might get expanded according to its *pixel* dimensions. People try to circumvent this by reducing jpg compression to hopelessly low levels, instead of doing it the proper way, reducing pixel dimensions. Then you can upload with much higher final outcome.

I'll have a look into the Guidelines at first opportunity to clarify this pitfall.

"Image size" has two entirely different meanings. The first is the virtual size which is expressed in pixels and usually should be what we mean by the size of the image, since it ultimately limits how big an image can be printed or viewed. The other is the storage size expressed in bytes. This figure only has an indirect connection to the first metric.