Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Lens

(1/8) > >>

Michael Erlewine:
After five months, today I received my copy of the Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Lens. I tried a bunch of quick tests, which I then forgot most of which order the shots were, yet I was very clear about this one shown in this post.

Here is a shot of some Trillium flowers in our yard, a uncropped shot and a cropped shot. This was about 40 feet away, quite a distance. You can see how far away they are. And then, here is a cropped photo of the same shot. Look at the detail that is available at this distance. This says more to me than the bunch of test shots I did in the studio. It looks to be a great lens and also very useful, being able to get that kind of quality from such a distance. Sorry to be so unprofessional, but I never chose to be a professional photographer, did I.

Fons Baerken:
These triliums are great not found here

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Fons Baerken on May 18, 2022, 14:49:15 ---These triliums are great not found here

--- End quote ---

They are protected here in Michigan. These are in our yard and were here some 41 years ago when we bought the place. In the woods there can be huge batches of them. We live within about a mile of he Manistee National Forest, some 900,000 acres of wilderness.

Here is a better photo of Trilliums taken with the Nikon NOCT 0.95 Z Lens.

Robert Camfield:
They are protected here in Michigan. These are in our yard and were here some 41 years ago when we bought the place. In the woods there can be huge batches of them. We live within about a mile of he Manistee National Forest, some 900,000 acres of wilderness.

The range for trillium extends deep into Ontario, and I think it is under provincial protection. My experience with trillium is slow germination and then several years to flower...certainly beautiful when they come forth. A stand of nodding trillium was present in the front yard of some property held a few years ago. Also, Michael, I wanted to mention that I'm quite familiar with the Manistee National Forest including the Luther and Tustin areas as well as the Pine and Big- and Little-Manistee Rivers and surrounds.   

Lucabeer:
Got my 100-400 yesterday, but I have to wait until next weekend to go to the mountains to try it with animals and nature. So far, from the first shots from my balcony, I am impressed.

I have also got the 2X converter, and while it loses some sharpness it still remains very decent in quality (although focus at 800 mm tends to hunt a bit).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version