Author Topic: The process of making a camera lens (video)  (Read 638 times)

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
The process of making a camera lens (video)
« on: November 11, 2023, 21:29:39 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5HFLkNrbIU

While I don't use Sigma lenses I found this 24mins video educating.
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: The process of making a camera lens (video)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 18:42:02 »
According to the tweet of Mr. Yamaki, CEO of Sigma, a bit of their proprietary process machines were filmed, but the most essential parts were not published.

Also, the process of the large-size aspherical element which is one of Sigma's most important proprietary technology was not even referred to.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 04:54:37 »
Thanks for posting-: No wonder that modern camera lenses are impossible to repair and serve as throwawy items once something inside stops working.

Also, there was a surprising amount of time used for manual processes, which given the machine skills in moving and sorting might heve beeen automated. Most optical production around the world must use the same processes so the uniqueness of Sigma did not stand out in the video.

Maybe the intention of showing people  blow  away dust and stacking metal pieces was to give viewers an impression of craftsmanship and quality control. And maybe the much critizied zoom that Sigma made for Leitz has only been disparaged for not being made un Germany  and really does make totally sharp snaps.

Of course, the use of melting plastics and cramming electronics into a small package has given millions of prople acess to optical perfomance reults  which some decades ago only a few could achieve.

Also, current lens+ camera abilities  makes any knowledge of the photographic process superfluous. Whether it delivers real benefits remains to be seen: (especially if the aims become clearly specified).

p.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 09:34:09 »
Thanks for posting-: No wonder that modern camera lenses are impossible to repair and serve as throwawy items once something inside stops working.

Impossible is a big word, I would say difficult, and sometimes yes spares run out, just like for 'old' manual focus lenses.
Most lenses you can get repaired, it's more a matter of the extend of the fault/damage, that the lens or camera has, if it is economical to repair.
Erik Lund

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 14:07:18 »
I agree, even Nikon and Leitz do not keep parts for a long while , even if they do not yet melt their lens innards into a plastic package. And  other renowned makers have disappeared .

However the lens mechanics company Novoflex provided me with a new Zmount adapter for their 60 year old Pigriff, at a cost comparable to their ordinary prices, so it is absolutely possible to make spares if your machines and  your directors are flexible enough and your original designs allow changes-

I maintain my view that the processes shown provide cheaper products in exchange for shorter useful duration,  especially if affordable repair are required.

p.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 14:48:15 »
Agreed, Sigma has a different design/maintenance approach than Nikon, especially for the higher end Nikkors and the Pro cameras where they are able to completely rebuild and calibrate regardless of damage or fault.
Erik Lund

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 21:11:18 »
Agreed, Sigma has a different design/maintenance approach than Nikon, especially for the higher end Nikkors and the Pro cameras where they are able to completely rebuild and calibrate regardless of damage or fault.
Well said. It's important to differentiate and not to bash all brands. I have used 150+ Nikkor lenses (manufactured btw late 1950 and 2023), about 40% have/had electronic components. One failed (Nikon 1 zoom) and I didn't bother to get a repair, one drop damage on an AF-s zoom (repaired as new).
Another Austrian Terminator in California