Author Topic: Nikon Z8 is here  (Read 6544 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Nikon Z8 is here
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2023, 16:23:21 »
Yes, I do have the EH-7P and plugged it in. I turned it on and it still will not let me use the 'Focus shift" it still says that I need to "Set the Clock"

Will leaving it plugged in set the clock or is something else not working?

Appreciate the help.

I figured it out and it was much more ignorance on my part. When they said 'Set the Clock" I thought they referred to some internal clock I know nothing bout. Apparently all they mean was set the Time Zone and time....which, when I did, all worked perfectly. Thanks for helping the helpless. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2023, 16:40:43 »
So, do you *have set* the clock?

I see you already found out :)

The internal clock battery will recharge after a while making the camera clock run for a while and then pulling the battery out won't reset the camera. After some years the recharging is less effective and you need more often to reset the camera time. I encounter this all the time with my old V1 or Panasonic cameras.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2023, 16:53:01 »
So, do you *have set* the clock?

I see you already found out :)

The internal clock battery will recharge after a while making the camera clock run for a while and then pulling the battery out won't reset the camera. After some years the recharging is less effective and you need more often to reset the camera time. I encounter this all the time with my old V1 or Panasonic cameras.

Of course, I that some internal clock that only you, and a couple of your friends know about. It never occurred to me that it was to set the clock that I know about. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2023, 20:01:25 »
I posted this bug report also elsewhere but thought I'd do it here as well.

I found an apparent bug in the operation of the Z8 with the MB-N12 grip. The multi-selector for vertical shooting should mirror the camera's multi-selector (according to the MB-N12's manual as well as the correct behavior in earlier cameras such as the D6 and D850) but in this case (with the Z8) it actually acts like the sub-selector. I was really confused when I run into this but eventually figured out what it is doing. It's something I can live with but I'd prefer the functionality of the previous cameras (as described in the manual).

In full-image playback the sub-selector's two axis (left-right and up-down) switch between consequtive images and between first images of bursts. The multi-selector on the camera instead allows one to switch between consequtive images and between playback display info modes (i.e. whether blinkies, RGB histogram etc. are displayed or just the image). The latter would be my preference for the multi-selector on the vertical grip. I don't want to switch between first images of bursts just about in any scenario as when I'm reviewing I really want to look at individual images.

Anyway it's a minor issue but still I'd like Nikon to fix it so it matches the description in the manual as well as the previous cameras. Or at least offer an option to configure the camera so that this is the case as an option.

I do like the Z8 and it clearly fits my intended use (silent photography at concerts, funerals, weddings etc.) but it does feel a bit like making ghost images when there is no sound from the camera when taking pictures. ;-) I don't like the artificial speaker shutter sound as it sounds different depending on the camera orientation and depending on ambient sound level I might not hear it in one orientation (or if increased in volume, it might be too loud in the other orientation). So I keep the shutter sound off and am getting used to it. Maybe...

However, to me it doesn't have the image quality at high ISO that the Z6II or D6 have, and I'm hoping Nikon would make a variant of the Z6 II with Expeed 7 and better AF performance on approaching subjects which was the main limitation of the Z6 II's AF system for me. The keeper rate fell significantly when the subjects were approaching the camera. Another limitation is the tendency to focus on vertical lines in the background if the main subject is dark or lit from the behind. This problem exists on both the Z6 II and Z8 but the D6 handles such situations much better with its all cross-type AF system.

Anyway the Z8 is a bit against the philosophy that I have for photography - I would prefer to carefully view the subject and monitor what is happening and then decide on a single image to capture at the right moment, minimizing post work. The Z8 is more designed to capture ALL moments and while that technique is effective (certainly since the camera can be easily set to shoot at e.g. 30 fps when required) but I really find it a pain to deal with the post work from this approach. So why not just shoot in single shot mode? Because it takes discipline and I still find watching on the computer screen on the camera for a long time tedious and irritating, although the delay is much shorter now and it can be used to time single shots which I couldn't do with the Z6 II.

Anyway I hope Nikon puts out an improved 24MP FX camera rather than making all of their cameras super high resolution. I would be very happy purchasing a 24MP FX model with similar EVF speed and close to similar AF performance that the Z8 has, either in a Z8 or Z6 series chassis. I'd probably use it most of the time instead of the high-resolution Z8. Because then I'd have less post work to deal with and most images are not printed large either, and somehow I felt the Z6 II images in indoor low light had a magic which I don't find in the Z8 images in similar scenarios.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2023, 11:07:44 »
Some interesting observations here Ilkka

it doesn't have the image quality at high ISO that the Z6II or D6 have,

...[needs] better AF performance on approaching subjects which was the main limitation of the Z6 II's AF system for me. The keeper rate fell significantly when the subjects were approaching the camera.

tendency to focus on vertical lines in the background if the main subject is dark or lit from the behind. This problem exists on both the Z6 II and Z8 but the D6 handles such situations much better with its all cross-type AF system.

I'm curious how often any of these are cropping up for other users (either NG users, or elsewhere online)?
I'm guessing Nikon's first Z full professional user's camera may have needed some compromises.
Also perhaps expecting the best of both the Z6II and D6 is maybe optimistic (but maybe any backward steps from the D6 feel less acceptable?)

You'd think AF issues on subjects approaching the camera would affect a large number of sports scenarios, plus some faster wildlife......there aren't other menu settings which can allow better options for this are there?
(I remember a previous NG user Tony Oaten finding these on earlier iterations of the Dx range)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2023, 12:57:40 »
Also perhaps expecting the best of both the Z6II and D6 is maybe optimistic (but maybe any backward steps from the D6 feel less acceptable?)

Right.

You'd think AF issues on subjects approaching the camera would affect a large number of sports scenarios, plus some faster wildlife......there aren't other menu settings which can allow better options for this are there?

The approaching subject problem was with the Z6 II, e.g., when a person or people walk towards the camera,  there is a high chance that the camera loses focus on the main subject and focuses on something in the background. Using dynamic area instead of wide area did improve odds but it's less precise and quite a large area in the Z6 II. However, the Z8 so far has done very well on approaching subjects at least in outdoor daylight situations. Low-light situations can reduce the odds but not beyond reasonable.  The remaining complaint I have about Z8 AF is that due to the only linear phase-dection sensors available, the camera tends to favour vertical lines instead of lines in any direction and thus backlit grass behind the animal is easily picked up by the AF system. There are tricks that can be used, i.e. if the main subject is really out of focus and background features are focused on by the camera, then manual assist can help, turning the ring to approximately focus on the intended subject can help the camera pick up and focus on the correct subject. But this is of course an extra step. I hope that mirrorless cameras are developed with cross-type phase-detection sensors as this would reduce the emphasis on vertical lines which are often found in backgrounds in nature. Olympus (OM Systems) at least has made mirrorless cameras with cross-type sensors, maybe others too. I recall that Nikon has patented some designs of sensor AF systems for cross-type detection as well.

I tend to use the custom wide-area AF area modes on the Z8 (similar to custom group-area in the D6) and this allows me to define the region of the frame where the subject's face is likely to be in my composition. This reduces the chances where the camera focuses on unintended subjects or parts of the scene and is of great help. I've very happy that they have implemented the custom AF area modes because it allows me to give enough a priori information about my subject and composition to the camera yet leaves some freedom for me to adjust the framing without having to move the focus area around.

The video AF has been excellent on the Z8, beyond my expectations. I was shooting a model with a wearable device and had to follow the subject by walking backwards in pedestrian traffic with the camera held in my hands (well I did use a gimbal). I also used a tripod for telephoto shoot where video was recorded of the approaching model in a well-lit indoor environment (with large windows). In both scenarios the camera produced perfectly focused footage on the model with the camera set to auto-area AF and human subject detection. The main issue was that when walking backwards on cobblestone streets with camera in my hands the risk for tripping over was quite high, but luckily it all went well and nothing happened. It was the first time I felt that what is essentially a still camera in origin (being made by Nikon) did not show any disadvantage in focusing compared to a purpose-made video camera in any of the situations where we shot, on the contrary, it did very well. What remains to solve is the lack of ND filters (I had to shoot at f/13 at times due to the amount of light on a bright day) and Nikon should consider making camera models where this is offered. (One might say that it's a hybrid so no in-built NDs are typical of such cameras but it's a major convenience issue for video and Nikon has come so far in the functionality for video that they might as well take that step, even if it is only one camera model.)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2023, 17:31:09 »
I just vent out for an AF speed test, and also a test of the my ability to get some speed blur.
The cars where as I focus @1/1000 sec, so will nor see those boring images. (Speed apron. 40-60km/h not F1 or Le Mans speed)
While panning I was surprised over the EVF, so much better that my D500, surprise :o

Z8 70-200 f2.8 F-mount. 1/125 sec @f6.3 ISO 64. (adjusted I LR, it was overexposed ;))

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2023, 13:18:02 »
For those interested: just a few days ago Nikon released the first Z8 firmware update, ver 1.01.