Gear Talk > Other

How are your eyes shaping up?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dogman:
At 74, my eyes are a mess.  Seems I've always been near-sighted--poor distant vision--but I developed "over 40 eyes" when I was about 35 years old.  I've been in varifocal lenses ever since.  When using a camera, I've always worn eyeglasses.  Tried screw-in corrective diopters on the cameras but they didn't work for me, having to always go back and forth from glasses to no glasses.  Then came the wonderful adjustable diopters built into camera viewfinders.  It was heaven for me.  I could adjust the diopter to the point in my varifocal lenses that was most comfortable and natural to view.

But the worst problem I've ever had was with the Fuji X-Pro1.  I loved the camera--it was similar to the handling of the Leica rangefinders I had always loved--but it lacked an adjustable diopter.  I had to remember to hit the right spot on my eyeglass lens when using the optical viewfinder or the image was blurred.  The EVF was a complete no go.  Couldn't get a clear image no matter what.  I would have needed strong reading glasses to see a sharp EVF image with that camera and that was no solution for my eyes.  When the X-Pro2 came out with an adjustable diopter, I was a very happy shooter.

Other than problems with cameras, I've developed ARMD--Age Related Macular Degeneration.  It's not so bad right now.  I have a blurred spot in my right eye that is barely noticeable along with distortion of straight lines in both eyes that sometimes is noticeable but only when viewing with one eye, either left or right.  I also have cataracts that I'm planning to have corrected ASAP.  However, I had to delay seeing my ophthalmologist in February about cataract removal due to developing shingles on my face that included my left eyelids.  I still have intermittent itching from this that drives me bat-crap crazy at times.

I see my ophthalmologist later this month about the cataracts.  Hopefully that will solve one of the many problems I have with my eyes but I will still have a number of other challenges to face.

ColinM:
I've worn eyeglasses since I was about 6.
Initially for short-sightedness, and as I got older, varifocals were a great help.

One thing I wasn't expecting was occasional bad eyesight in my right eye that in the last couple of years just comes & goes.
Turns out this was optical migraines. I'm very grateful I don't get any headaches, but since my right eyes is my dominant one, I'm now learning to wait patiently for 20-30 mins when it happens.

Matthew Currie:
Owing to a bad bicycle accident just about 10 years ago, I have a busted trochlear nerve, which causes my eyes to tilt downward toward the nose, and gives me uncorrectable double vision up close, and in the lower half or so of my field.  I have to squint to read and walk down stairs, etc.  Photographically it doesn't do too much in horizontal viewfinder mode, but I struggle with level horizons in Live View and vertical.  Without the grid verticals are hopeless, and I try to avoid Live View.  When using point and shoot camera with no viewfinder I try to shoot wider to allow for correction.

For the first 64 years of my life my left eye was dominant, and I was a left-eye shooter.  When I woke from the coma my right eye was dominant and has been every since. It's actually a little easier being a right-eye shooter now, though it took some adjusting.  Fairly soon after the accident, my brain decided to establish the now dominant right eye as having the correct horizon, so the left appears off by ten degrees instead of 5.    Which is why live view shots are so hard, because to get a straight shot the camera must appear to be tilted.

Ethan:
Please think of the Blind people and support your local Blind Groups and Charities.

There is one saying: You had a good run and you cannot eat it all and always!

David H. Hartman:
I had a problem with flashing lights at the periphery of my vision. My ophthalmologist told me the problem was the gel in the eye (vitreous humor) gets thinner with age. I was told if the lights stayed on rather than flashing in a transitory fashion I should come in immediately. I saw my ophthalmologist immediately when the flashing lights started as it could signal a detaching retina.

I started taking Bausch + Lomb, Ocuvite Adult 50+ supplement and the problem went away. This is anecdotal information and please note I am not medically trained. I'm tossing this out as it might help some.

Don't take chances with any flashing light in your vision. It could be a symptom of a serious condition needing immediate medical intervention.

Dave

I have no association with Bausch + Lomb and there must be other nutritional supplement makers that make a product with similar ingredients.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version