Author Topic: Field Photography for Old Folks  (Read 2109 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Field Photography for Old Folks
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 21:24:16 »
The tripod I use in the field is a modified carbon Gitzo G 1228 MKII (very old model).
The modification was to remove the center column and get a.....I think.....a RRS aluminium support instead of the plastic center plate. On top of the RRS support I use a FOBA Super-Miniball. The tripod has 3-leg extension so can go quite high. It is quite stable with legs collapsed and also with one leg extended. Weight is about 2.5 kg. The RRS support has a libelle which can be nice to level the tripod for some applications.

The tripod is much more stable without the center column and use of the RRS support. It can also get quite low with center column removed.

With all 3 legs extended it is good for standing support with hands on the camera for action where ball is in "friction-mode" to pan around.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 21:51:19 »
Instead of the FOBA head a RRS BH-40 or BH-55 could be used. It was a lower profile and the stability will be enhanced a bit.
I had the FOBA so I use that and it is "good enough" for me.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 23:20:51 »
I found a similar "setup" as my here:
https://alantowerphoto.com/gitzo-series-3-systematic-carbon-fiber-tripod/

It is also based by a carbon Gitzo tripod with center column removed and here a RRS ball head (BH-55) is used.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 09:44:31 »
The carbon Gitzo G 1228 tripod, which I also have is a little heavier than the Gitzo GT1545T Tripod.

Gitzo GT1545T Tripod = 2 lbs. 5.44 Oz. (2.34 lbs.) [1.061406 KG]

Gitzo GT1228 = 3lbs 6.4 Oz (3.4 lbs.)[ 1.54221 KG]

RRS TVC-2X 3lbs 6.4 oz (3.4 lbs.) [ 1.54221 KG]

All carbon-fiber tripods.

Of the two heavier tripods above, the Really Right Stuff TVC-2X is, IMO, the more robust and better of the two tripods, both being of the same weight. I am a fan of thicker legs and more strength, perhaps because I am often doing focus stacking and need things steady and solid. As for tripod heads, I have most of them around here. I prefer the Arca-Swiss Cube for my work, even though it has flaws, like it is heavy. The Burzynski is even heavier, but the best of the ball heads, although unlike the gear-heads, every time you have to 'tweak" it one has to reposition the head, which is a drag.

Arca-Swiss Cube 2 lbs
Burzynski Ball Head 2 lbs. 4 oz (no clamp)

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com