Author Topic: A blank row in the photos - how to fix?  (Read 1473 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
A blank row in the photos - how to fix?
« on: March 29, 2022, 00:14:25 »
Hi all,

I have noticed one of my older camera (Sony Nex6) consistently produces a blank row in the photos. I do not have the ambition to take it apart and fix the hardware, but if anyone knows a trick to fix that row in post-processing, please kindly share :)

Thanks,
Zang

ianwatson

Re: A blank row in the photos - how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 03:12:04 »
My first thought is to use a small healing brush in either Lightroom or Photoshop. The latter also has the means to select a single row and you could then use Content Aware Fill. However, I have no idea how user-friendly it would be.

Affinity Photo offers similar features to Photoshop.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 15:53:16 »
Thanks Ian!

I tried the following trick. I duplicate the layer then shift the top layer one pixel vertically. Then I add a transparency mask and select the one row rectangle and paint the mask. It's a bit of work, but it is not too bad.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 16:35:53 »
Thanks Ian!

I tried the following trick. I duplicate the layer then shift the top layer one pixel vertically. Then I add a transparency mask and select the one row rectangle and paint the mask. It's a bit of work, but it is not too bad.

I'll assume the blank pixels are at a fixed horizontal or vertical position for every given image size (small/medium/large). Since you state "row", I'll assume horizontal... Since the blank pixel row does not move, it's a perfect scenario for using Automation.

You should study the Automation topic, there are lots of lessons on YouTube that show how to create a small process that you can launch and will execute all the steps you execute manually.

Basically you record the sequence of actions you would do manually (you enter a record mode when you create a new action), then you save the sequence with a name and optionally you can assign the sequence to one of the f1--f12 keys.

Do a Google search with the following:

automating repetitive photoshop tasks

and you'll find a whole world of answers to your problem

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 13:59:41 »
You should study the Automation topic, there are lots of lessons on YouTube that show how to create a small process that you can launch and will execute all the steps you execute manually.

Thanks, it's a great hint indeed. The only issue is, I do not have Photoshop :D I am using free Gimp, but I'll check the automation for sure.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 15:32:59 »
As un update, I have found out that the lines are added by Sony free RAW converter  ::)

I tried Capture One Express and there are no bad lines at all!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 16:02:41 »
TANSTAAFL

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 01:35:43 »
TANSTAAFL

LOL... My Sony NEX6 costs 50 CAD and my lenses are next to nothing. I cannot justify the cost of state of the art software ;)

BTW, Capture One Express is also free :D

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 11:38:44 »
i made a similiar experience many years ago: my pictures of Pentax RAW were mosaicing in several programs. Later using Capture one, all pictures were without defects.
Thomas Stellwag

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 03:50:08 »
i made a similiar experience many years ago: my pictures of Pentax RAW were mosaicing in several programs. Later using Capture one, all pictures were without defects.

I am glad Capture One works for you. It also works OK for me so far.