Gear Talk > Lens Talk

105mm DC on a D850

(1/3) > >>

aerobat:
I have an offer for a used 105mm DC at a good price. Anyone still using it on a modern DSLR?
I can test it tomorrow. What else to look for apart from the lens shade thread damage and worn out or broken DC shift ring?
Any thoughts are very appreciated.

Birna Rørslett:
Smooth focusing when the collar is turned.

aerobat:
Many thanks Birna,

Maybe you could answer if my plan makes any sense. I currently don't have a Nikon Z and can't easily adapt older lenses.
I really like vintage macro looks. So as the 105 DC has a particular (bubble) bokeh, I thought of using it with an apochromatic close-up lens by NISI.
Not looking for 1:1 ratio but flower photos, butterflies and such. Do you think this could work to produce bubble bokeh close-ups?

Thanks a lot Daniel

Jack Dahlgren:
It has close focus similar to the 135mm DC so you might want to look at this thread:

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=3088.0

It shows a number of images of flowers and the like at closest distance with Defocus control cranked. Not sure if this is the "bubble" look you are hoping for, but it is distinctive, and if the lens is set at normal settings the results are great. I use this lens on Z cameras. The 105 will be similar, but without as much magnification. Not sure how a closeup lens would change things. You could probably just use a simple extension ring instead.

BruceSD:

--- Quote from: aerobat on April 01, 2022, 20:07:50 ---Many thanks Birna,

Maybe you could answer if my plan makes any sense. I currently don't have a Nikon Z and can't easily adapt older lenses.
I really like vintage macro looks. So as the 105 DC has a particular (bubble) bokeh, I thought of using it with an apochromatic close-up lens by NISI.
Not looking for 1:1 ratio but flower photos, butterflies and such. Do you think this could work to produce bubble bokeh close-ups?

Thanks a lot Daniel

--- End quote ---

I own dozens of fast, manual focus bokeh lenses.  I also own a Z6 and the Nikkor 105mm DC lens.   When I want bubble bokeh, I will use one of my many MOG, Fujinon, or Projector lenses.  While the DC Nikkor produces interesting and variable bokeh, it does not produce "bubble bokeh" per se.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version