Author Topic: Lawsuit over the video compression technology  (Read 1040 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: Lawsuit over the video compression technology
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 04:38:34 »
Mods please delete if this is inappropriate... :-\
Red products are mediocre, their cards use plastic toy wraps where some cheap $100 SSD is connected to a stupid pin adaptor and they have the audacity to charge over $1000.  Their batteries are all off-the-shelf Shenzhen/Japanese units wrapped in some kind of fancy plastic, and they dare to call this shameless rehousing a "Made in the US of A" product. They are one of the biggest and loudest patent bullies in this market.  Maybe they can convince me when they make something that is not a hot piece of garbage and their CEO learns how to not fight faceless posters on the forum like a petulant manchild.

This patent is unbelievable, how can one patent internal raw recordings?  That is like patenting an algorithm, that is not something these shysters invented!  I would like to implore everyone to read into this game called "World Inc", the owner is a nasty bully and his product is a piece of turd.  He was lucky on the dot-com boom and makes more than $200,000 yearly sitting on his bum filing lawsuits for his overtly broad worthless patent and joke of a game.  Any game that has a resemblance of online activity and 3D graphics gets sued by this shameless grifter.  Red is the World Inc. of the cinematography world.

I also recall Red announcing some kind of sensor as their result of R&D when it was merely an off-the-shelf product from OnSemi or maybe it was GPixel.  These laws are due for an overhaul, it is not about innovation anymore, but rather which company has the most lawyers and biggest... to swing around.  What have they done recently anyway?  Oh yes, that awful phone with technology found in an antique store.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 09:34:18 »
It's not that RED has patented internal raw recording, they patented a camera which can compress and store internally raw data in a particular way which involves compressing R and B data streams relative to G (my understanding from brief looking at their patents is that they compare the R and B values with G (subtracting them?) and then compress the residuals, or something along those lines) and then when uncompressing the data, the G is built first and then R and B based on the G and the residuals. This seems specific enough that it could be patented but one could also argue that it's rather trivial. Nikon use intoPIX's compression algorithm which is a different method (described in detail in intoPIX's patent).

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 12:41:18 »
It's not that RED has patented internal raw recording, they patented a camera which can compress and store internally raw data in a particular way which involves compressing R and B data streams relative to G (my understanding from brief looking at their patents is that they compare the R and B values with G (subtracting them?) and then compress the residuals, or something along those lines) and then when uncompressing the data, the G is built first and then R and B based on the G and the residuals. This seems specific enough that it could be patented but one could also argue that it's rather trivial. Nikon use intoPIX's compression algorithm which is a different method (described in detail in intoPIX's patent).
Thanks for the clarity.  If I remember correctly, world Inc patented "online games with 3D graphics" which makes my comparison even more sound.
Honestly, I hope RED gets laughed out of the court.  I rarely support any of Nikon's decisions but they will (or anyone) get my support if they fight this.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope