Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Windows 10?

<< < (3/5) > >>

David H. Hartman:

--- Quote from: Chris Betson on March 31, 2022, 00:11:34 ---Why would anyone want a Windoze machine? The same hardware loaded with Ubuntu (Linux) will run faster, load faster and you will not be annoyed by waiting for the OS updating every time you start.

There are many similar if not better software packages, Shotwell for image store and GIMP for photo editing. Long term support versions last 4 years with the option to update every 6 months if you want to.

--- End quote ---

I have an old version of Photoshop that runs fine on Windows 7 and 10 and will not run under Linux. I've tried GIMP and found it to be no replacement for Photoshop.

Linux for me is too much of a hacker's OS. I paid my dues with Windows NT v3.4 (Neanderthal Technology) and got on fine with the help of a Bible size administrator's manual. I've gotten soft and prefer Windows 7 or when tweaked a bit Windows 10. I've gotten as far as macOS High Sierra and that's fine too. At this time Linux won't run the software I need.

Dave

Birna Rørslett:
Wine has be be improved in order for many Windows programs to run without issues in Linux. I managed to install Photoshop however it crashes so frequently it is unusable in practice. Sometimes PS only loads then bombs out immediately.

PhotoNinja and some other photo software do run smoothly in Linux though. My big Linux boxes host virtual machines with tweaked Windows systems. This works very well.

Like many others I'm not a big fan of Win10 and the mess of getting rid of all the bloatware it brings with it.  Some of the updates bring back stuff I actively removed. When will Microsoft understand not everyone requires gaming software or uses their computer just for watching videos?

For my main work station I reverted back to Win7 to avoid the troubles Win10 introduced.

paul hofseth:
I wonder what US republicans  (who hate being dictated to) make of W10´s lack of liberties.

Disregarding the possibility of digging into "Regedit", there are absolutely no methods to get rid of some "features" consuming machine resources. Most annoying, even if they only use small shares. Also W-10 keeps bothering one when installing non-Microsoft programs. A sensible function if users are ignorant, otherwise an unnnecessary hurdle.

So if you are reasonably naive, like being bossed around, and dislike free software (which still can be installed), do not hesistate: the program is much stabler than it used to be and the company only needs to revise it now and then (to correct its own errors, and launch potentially income generating subroutines)

p.

Hugh_3170:
As a matter of interest Birna, what dialect or dialects of Linux do you run?  Just the one or separate dialects for different purposed machines?

I am considering setting up a one of my older but still good (i.e. high spec'ced) PCs as a LINUX machine for a heavy computational project.

TIA.

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on March 31, 2022, 13:34:59 ---Wine has be be improved in order for many Windows programs to run without issues in Linux. I managed to install Photoshop however it crashes so frequently it is unusable in practice. Sometimes PS only loads then bombs out immediately.

PhotoNinja and some other photo software do run smoothly in Linux though. My big Linux boxes host virtual machines with tweaked Windows systems. This works very well.

Like many others I'm not a big fan of Win10 and the mess of getting rid of all the bloatware it brings with it.  Some of the updates bring back stuff I actively removed. When will Microsoft understand not everyone requires gaming software or uses their computer just for watching videos?

For my main work station I reverted back to Win7 to avoid the troubles Win10 introduced.

--- End quote ---

Birna Rørslett:
Linux Mint for smaller laptops (for travelling etc.), set up with browser, audio, and full office software. Mint is very slick and easy to use, even for die-hard Windows users.

Ubuntu (server eds.) for the heavy stuff. I tried 'bare-metal' VMWare ESXi,  but found it more troublesome than running my virtual machines atop a robust standard Linux system. The operational speed of the VMs is in general excellent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version