Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Blemish inside 16mm 3.5 rear element

<< < (2/5) > >>

Snoogly:
I think I will send it to this chap in Taiwan. He seems to be a master at troublesome issues like this.

http://lens-cla.blogspot.com/2014/01/nikon-af-nikkor-20mm-f28-d-lens-group.html

It was sold as 'junk' though, but non-returnable. ¥16,000 it cost me, so I'd like to do what I can get to get it fixed.

Birna Rørslett:
Have you tried to shoot a few pictures with it? The blemish might not be apparent except for high-contrast situations.

Snoogly:

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on January 12, 2022, 08:46:20 ---Have you tried to shoot a few pictures with it? The blemish might not be apparent except for high-contrast situations.

--- End quote ---

I have, and they were generally rather milky and cloudy. I think the blemish may be the tip of the iceberg.

Erik Lund:
Fixing this is not a DIY job.You can heat the elements up in water and if they are held together by Balsam cement, as I suspect, they will separate, but putting them back together clean, centered and with the correct thickness Balsam cement is near impossible.Later lenses use an UV hardening epoxy or similar.

Snoogly:

--- Quote from: Erik Lund on January 12, 2022, 09:59:31 ---Fixing this is not a DIY job.You can heat the elements up in water and if they are held together by Balsam cement, as I suspect, they will separate, but putting them back together clean, centered and with the correct thickness Balsam cement is near impossible.Later lenses use an UV hardening epoxy or similar.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Erik.

I was going to send it to that chap in Taiwan, but his basic fee is $150, and there would be postage each way on top of that. No guarantees he could whip it into shape either.

So now I think I will try to sell it for ¥10,000 as junk junk!

It’s a shame, but my fault for buying it as junk in the first place. A new Laowa fisheye would have been cheaper in the long run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version