Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Nikon DR-3 Right Angle Finder Attatchment

(1/3) > >>

Seapy:
Hi folks, Happy New Year to everybody.

I have been setting up a vertical photo copy stand over the holiday.  It works well, very rigid, I have made over sixty copies of prints so far but I am struggling to see through the viewfinder easily, I think is I were able to use my DR-3 right angle attachment it might make it much easier to align the image and check the settings through the viewfinder.  I am using my D800, the DR-3 is not intended to fit a D800, but instead a DR-5 should be used, I understand.  I can't justify north of £300 when I already almost have what I need.

The eyepiece of the D800 is not threaded around the viewfinder lens, there is a knurled flange which 'seems' to unscrew but it's very tight initially, when slackened it then it goes very tight again as I try to unscrew it, so tight that I am not inclined to force it.

My plan is to make a simple adaptor to clip onto the eyepiece flange, then screw the Nikon DR-3 into it.  If the DR-3 is held in position over the viewfinder I can see a perfectly acceptable view of the image and the settings etc. as I would had I been looking normally through the viewfinder.

The extension, which is already screwed into the DR-3 has an 19mm thread (it actually measures 18.83mm) I am assuming the pitch is 0.7mm, very difficult to measure because there are only a couple of threads to engage.

Any comments or suggestions please, is the eyepiece flange supposed to unscrew or am I best advised to leave well alone?

Gone:
Just a random thought - why not just tether the D800 to the Macpro?

Øivind Tøien:

--- Quote from: Seapy on January 01, 2022, 16:38:33 ---Hi folks, Happy New Year to everybody.

I have been setting up a vertical photo copy stand over the holiday.  It works well, very rigid, I have made over sixty copies of prints so far but I am struggling to see through the viewfinder easily, I think is I were able to use my DR-3 right angle attachment it might make it much easier to align the image and check the settings through the viewfinder.  I am using my D800, the DR-3 is not intended to fit a D800, but instead a DR-5 should be used, I understand.  I can't justify north of £300 when I already almost have what I need.

The eyepiece of the D800 is not threaded around the viewfinder lens, there is a knurled flange which 'seems' to unscrew but it's very tight initially, when slackened it then it goes very tight again as I try to unscrew it, so tight that I am not inclined to force it.

--- End quote ---
Happy new year to you too! If the D800 eyepiece is like on the D500, you need to activate the viewfinder shutter to unscrew the eyepiece. That is actually a nice feature that prevents the eyepiece or a mounted DK-17M to unscrew itself and become lost.

--- Quote ---My plan is to make a simple adaptor to clip onto the eyepiece flange, then screw the Nikon DR-3 into it.  If the DR-3 is held in position over the viewfinder I can see a perfectly acceptable view of the image and the settings etc. as I would had I been looking normally through the viewfinder.

The extension, which is already screwed into the DR-3 has an 19mm thread (it actually measures 18.83mm) I am assuming the pitch is 0.7mm, very difficult to measure because there are only a couple of threads to engage.

Any comments or suggestions please, is the eyepiece flange supposed to unscrew or am I best advised to leave well alone?

--- End quote ---

The adapter you are looking for came with the DR-4 (in addition to the one you have). It is called DK-12 and looks the same but has the wider thread that fits the D800 series/D500 viewfinder and will replace the eyepiece which is just plain glass. (The extension that came with DR-3 is called DK-13 and fits the earlier cameras like the F2.) When I bought my DR-4 and DR-3 on ebay I noticed a few of those DK-12 adapters or replacements for it being announced. They were priced relatively high compared to the complete DR-3/DR-4 which then was in the $25-$35 range.

MEPER:
A body that can "flip-out" the screen would be useful?
But what about placing the repro stand on the floor so it is possible to look down into the viewfinder?

Akira:
Happy New Year and welcome back, Robert!

I've had a vague memory of the adapter Øivind mentions.

But, wouldn't a mirror set above the back of the camera at an angle so that you can see the live view of the LCD screen?  Of course, the image is reversed, but it could be less of a problem for the copy work...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version