Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Nikon D3x Off to Nikon Repair for Servicing

(1/8) > >>

ThomasAdams:
Hello,

I recently purchased a used camera and while the listing said it was in great shape - one thing that was overlooked was the number of dead/stuck/hot pixels. I messaged the seller and we agreed on a partial refund, the camera was in good condition otherwise. I just sent it off today via USPS and I can only hope I get it back sometime soon and that no parts require repair/replacement. I figured I would post my experience with buying an older camera and repair work with Nikon - or I'm excited to get it back and am just very impatient  ;D. The camera came with everything like new. The body was in excellent near mint shape, shutter count ~44,000 - missing a screw and I bit of haze behind the rear LCD. I recalled the haze happening with many cameras - don't recall the exact cause or if this was something due to manufacturing or if any cause was determined. My D3 has never had any issue like this. The seller did say that the camera was in storage for over a decade. The 2 batteries hadn't been charged in awhile and while they took a charge - one only got about 3 photos out of it and died.

Part of the reasoning behind this purchase may have been a "return to my past desires" driven, I always wanted the D3x! As an amateur photographer 8,000 USD was a bit out of my price range, much like the story of the Nikkor 200-400mm F4 :P. I sold off many items due to health issues years ago, that combined with the desire to catalog photos, always feeling behind (Feeling of having to capture the family moments) I loss some of the enjoyment I experienced in photography. Without a conscious decision actually being made and like so many others, photography was shelved for awhile as a hobby.

So, a little over $800.00 USD + $200.00 USD repair* (*Unless something needs replaced) and I will finally have my D3x. And for those who may be curious; yes I did get the 200-400 f4 as well but that is another story! More to come...

Regards,
Tom

Frode:
There’s a solution for stuck pixels:

Two sensor cleanings in quick succession (setup menu -> clean image sensor -> clean now).

This will permanently map out stuck/hot pixels.

Snoogly:
It’s curious that Nikon still supports the D3X, but not the D4 (in Japan anyway).

Thanks for the stick pixels tip :-)

ThomasAdams:
Frode,

Thank you for the information and I had ran across that and was unable to locate it in the menu leading to more searching on the web. I believe that started after the D3 and D3x series. The D3s may have had it, but someone would have to confirm.

Snoogly,

Yes, there are many oddities with what they service and what they won't. Perhaps it has to do with parts availability and other factors. I figured if I wanted to keep this - I'd better get it sent in now before it is too late. Depending on how it goes I may send in my D3 - although I can't recall if it's still on the list or not at the moment. It has held up extremely well and has no issues. But I should have it sent in just the same.

Zang:

--- Quote from: ThomasAdams on August 09, 2021, 22:36:52 ---...and I will finally have my D3x.

--- End quote ---

I am sorry to hear you got a camera that needs repair. It would be nicer if you got the dream camera flawless. How bad are the bad pixels? Are they all over?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version