Gear Talk > Camera Talk

End of the road for the humble DK-17M

(1/9) > >>

Snoogly:
It has been obvious for a while now that the DK-17M magnifying eyepiece had been given the boot, but an alert I just received from B&H confirms it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387769-REG/Nikon_4793_DK_17M_Magnifying_Eyepiece_for.html

I have been stockpiling, in a humble way. One new one and two three used ones in reserve. Even used they are very rare now, with eye-watering prices. (just bought another used on Yahoo Auction ..)

:( :( >:( >:( :( :( :( :( :( :'(

Are they not usable with the D6? Will the D880 have a different shaped eyepiece?

This rush to get out of the DSLR game is sad.

David H. Hartman:
I've had one on backorder from B&H. I didn't expect it would ever come in. Nikon could make a batch of them once in a while. I think it's a marketing decision not that people don't want them.

Nikon could make a replacement with a fresnel lens in the mix that would work better for glasses wearers. I wish some aftermarket maker would do this. I don't think Nikon ever will.

Dave

Snoogly:
It’s sad. Such a small thing, but now not even on the radar of the bean counters :-(

Ilkka Nissilä:
The D6 has the same eyepieces as before.

David H. Hartman:
I still have a Nikon DK-17m on order at Adorama. There is an outside, outside chance they will find a few somewhere. eBay is selling them a gouge prices. Not finding many on eBay.

There was a time where used Nikon SB-800(s) sold for more than the new price just after the SB-800 was discontinued. Now the SB-800 can be purchased in decent condition at a reasonable price. This will hopefully happen to the DK-17m.

I can't use the DK-17m on my D850 while wearing glasses. I need to try half reader "granny glasses" to see if I can view directly above and then view the top LCD through the reading glasses. I hope I may be able to use the DK-17m with a D500 that I might buy with the proceeds from selling my old Ford F150. If I can use the DK-17m with the D500 that would offer a 1.2x viewfinder for focusing my legacy AI and AIS Nikkors.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version