Author Topic: Z6 at high ISO  (Read 2233 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Z6 at high ISO
« on: December 25, 2021, 21:40:55 »
I'm mostly a photographer who shoots during the daytime in natural light - always using the camera's base ISO.

Attached is my first attempt at a nighttime shot at high ISO (3200).   Handheld using my new-to-me Nikon Z6 camera and processed in Luminar 4.

The lens I used was this one ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1295105-REG/voigtlander_ba341a_heliar_50mm_f_3_5_lens.html  ) and an M to Z adapter.  The March 2002 issue of Popular Photography magazine said that this was the best lens that they have ever tested.  I like it's sharpness and colors, but at f/3.5 it's a bit slow for my usual bokeh photos.

ianwatson

Re: Z6 at high ISO
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 23:25:56 »
I like the atmosphere.

ISO 3200 is just getting started on the Z6. I was using 6400 a fair bit today and am pleased with the results. 12,800 is still quite useable, although I prefer 6400 if possible. 25,600 is a bit noisy but handy in an emergency. Remembering what Ilford HP5+ would produce when pushed to 1600, the Z6 is nothing short of extraordinary!

What are your first impressions?

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 00:02:49 »
Also like the atmosphere a lot, the pumps are centre stage but the hazy lights and reflections on the wet tarmac steel the show but lack a bit of oomph.

An image like this screams for a b&w treatment imho to get rid of the distracting two tone mix of white and yellow lights and to emphasize the mentioned hazy lights and reflections. The colors are muted anyways and don’t add anything to the story, might as well get rid of them all together and add some drama at the same time.

Uploaded a quick edit in the Photos app on the iPad to visualize what I mean, hope you don’t mind :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 00:03:35 »
With modern cameras we missed the character of noisy grain as Ilford HP 5 you mentioned ;)
I recently shot a concert on iso 3200  with z6 and it was a beauty!
No grain, excellent colors, bonus the  eye autofocus, another plus of mirrorless technology
Welcome to the zee-zed club

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 02:53:36 »
Thanks so much for all the great advice!

I think that I'll try shooting it at ISO 6400 and see how I like that.

I do like the black and white version better, good call!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 10:52:36 »
Great shot Bruce.  And the b&w works great too.  welcome to the Z6 Club :-) 

I find there is always a slight purple cast to the auto white balance with the Z6 (in evening/night situations).  Do others experience that too?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 17:39:40 »
I kind of like the red stripe along the top. Maybe some careful color grading on the other shades can harmonize the colors that are there.

ianwatson

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 21:50:14 »
I find there is always a slight purple cast to the auto white balance with the Z6 (in evening/night situations).  Do others experience that too?

Yes, I find that the colour balance needs a smidge less magenta in those conditions.

ianwatson

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 21:52:04 »
I kind of like the red stripe along the top. Maybe some careful color grading on the other shades can harmonize the colors that are there.

Agreed. The black-and-white version is wonderfully dramatic but the original has a charm of its own. Perhaps reduce the saturation of the light from the car's headlights a little?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 01:16:03 »
Nice one, Bruce!

Maybe because I'm browsing the images posted here on an uncalibrated monitor, the mixed lighting in general doesn't really bother, maybe except for the situations where the skin tone matters.

To me, the mixed lighting could be the key feature for this enticing atmosphere.  Also, as Jack pointed out, the "red" line is essential to the composition, both in terms of color and geometry.  On the other hand, Jan's B&W version looks authentic.

Hope you allow me to edit the original image.  I enhanced the red and orange portion a bit to make myself clear.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 17:44:16 »
Akira, good comments and nice adjustments to the photo.

Maybe in a few years when we're all driving electric cars, a photo like this one of gasoline pumps will remind us old timers of the old days.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 01:20:54 »
Akira, good comments and nice adjustments to the photo.

Maybe in a few years when we're all driving electric cars, a photo like this one of gasoline pumps will remind us old timers of the old days.

Thank you, Bruce.  Glad you like it.  Yes, a gas station will be considered as a remnant of the "crude" automobile technology.   :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 18:02:06 »
My first thought was 3200 is not high ISO.

I shot a lively wedding indoors many years ago with my D3 at ISO 5000 with a tad of fill flash.  Great results no flash visible only atmosphere of the indoor light design.

The D5 later gave me 30.000 ISO and up to quite satisfactory  results and even the D500 offers 20k ISO fully usable.

My benchmark  is 400 ISO color slide film from the 1980ies...

...meaning I can go up to 100.000 ISO with my Z6

ISO 3200 is still within the range if ISO invariance ...

I like the atmosphere of the petrol station  shot
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/