Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Dandelion chips on Z cameras?

(1/4) > >>

Snoogly:
I suppose this counts as nerdy, even though no tools are needed ...

Can anyone clearly explain what is theoretically possible with Dandelion chipped lenses on Z cameras?

Thus far I have only used double sided tape, so my experiment 105mm micro lens is easy to revert to its dumb self. On a D750 it does everything it should, but on the Z6ii I see no aperture value when shooting, nor in the exit data.

Am I doing something dumb, or is Dandelion + Z a flakey combination?

Jan Anne:
Nikon doesn’t fully support the use of older lenses on the Zee cameras like they used to on their DSLRs, the FTZ adapter doesn’t have a feeler for the set aperture and the non-cpu lens menu is only supported when using the FTZ adapter and not with third party adapters.

I recently bought a Nikon F to Canon EF adapter with a Canon Dandelion chip as a workaround to chip the hard to chip Nikon 50/1.2 Ai-S and it works better than expected. The focus dot and square now work where it didn’t with the FTZ adapter, the EXIF shows all the details and the aperture shows in the viewfinder and top screen as f1.2 which is 99 out of 100 times correct as I mainly use this lens wide open.

So I don’t use a Nikon Dandelion chip but the pics below should show what is technically possible with a properly programmed Dandelion chip. This Canon chip should btw also be a lot more robust compared to the fragile hollow Nikon chip

Hugh_3170:
An interesting work around Jan Anne.  Thank you for this.

Follow up question:  Do you have a Canon EOS SLR or DSLR to program the Dandelion chip on the Nikon to Canon EOS converter or can you order them pre-programmed?

Birna Rørslett:
With a suitable CPU chip inside any F-mount lens plus the FTZ you can have full control and use all exposure modes offered by the Z camera.

There is no traditional aperture linkage in the FTZ, however once the camera "knows" the lens (via the chip), aperture can be controlled in the same manner as a native 'G'-type Nikkor. The FTZ does this by manipulating the aperture lever inside the adapter itself.

Thus, the easiest way out still is putting the chip into the F-mount. This worked on the F cameras and is 100% compatible with the Z line-up.

Jan Anne:

--- Quote from: Hugh_3170 on July 04, 2021, 13:08:59 ---An interesting work around Jan Anne.  Thank you for this.

Follow up question:  Do you have a Canon EOS SLR or DSLR to program the Dandelion chip on the Nikon to Canon EOS converter or can you order them pre-programmed?

--- End quote ---
Hi, I’ve ordered it preprogrammed and preinstalled on a Pixco adapter from Andrey in his eBay store:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283766314313?hash=item4211ca5549:g:UMQAAOSwXwBf7ztg

Very friendly and helpful guy, after some quick back and forths about my usage requirements he programmed the chipped adapter and uploaded a video of it working on a Canon camera before shipping. As the chip is on an adapter no additional work was needed for the 50/1.2 to make it work with the Z6.

Please be aware that I already had the €300 Fringer EF-NZ adapter for my CV125 in Canon EF mount so chipping the 50/1.2 this way only costed me €42 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version