Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Is The Nikon D700 Camera Still Viable In 2021?

(1/13) > >>

BruceSD:
I can purchase a like-new D700 camera for a good price from a local photographer.  This is an older digital camera that was last made 13 years ago.   

I don't care about auto focus speed, buffer size, low light performance, or the fact that it only has 12 mega-pixels.  I only care about the RAW file image quality.

I've done a bit of Internet research on this camera, and I've read that the D700's monochromatic film-grain-like noise makes it a great camera for black and white photography.  More than one reviewer said that it renders exceptional skin tone colors. 

Do you feel D700 images compare favorably with say a Z6 or Z7? 

Thanks

David H. Hartman:
Here is the dynamic range of the D700 v. D6 and D7. I threw in a D300s because I own one and it's contemporary with the D700.

Dynamic Range v. ISO

Since I never owned a D700 I can't say more than it's the camera I should have bought when I bought the D300s.

Dave

Snoogly:
I think it is a great artistic tool, as long as you live with its foibles. Live View can be hard to turn on, but a function button can be assigned to do that.

My biggest complaint is the mushy multi selector knob on the back. Mine was hit or miss, so I bought a new ‘old stock’ one on eBay. It was very easy to fit, along with a new set of the four vertical rubber buttons. In fact all of the back buttons, and the lcd screen are very easy to replace, so if you do opt to but a D700, and it happens to have wear on the back, you can be pretty sure you can fit new thingamijigs.

Jan Anne:
I had both the D700 and D3s, loved both the cameras and files a lot until I got the D800E which delivered RAW files on a completely different level.

Where the Nikon 12MP sensor was a revolution in the high ISO department the 36MP sensor in the D800E did the same for the dynamic range as it could capture a whopping 11.45 stops vs 9.1. Back in the day the files were simply mind blowing as it changed everything because it added so much more depth to the files, got rid of stacking multiple exposures for landscaping and allowed for more correction options in post processing. B&W also improved a lot because the sensor captured much more levels of grey and detail in the low end.

The funny part is that the sensors didn't change all that much after the D800(E) as newer cameras mainly had improved resolution, new features or went mirrorless.

Here's the DR of the D700 compared to the D800E and Z6:
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D700,Nikon%20D800E,Nikon%20Z%206

Dogman:
The D700 is my personal favorite Nikon camera.  I currently have three of them plus a D3.  I love the look of photos done on the 12mp sensor.  While I also have a D800 and a D810, I prefer the look of the 12mp over the 36mp images.  That's just me...I'm weird that way.  I can't compare with Nikon's Z cameras--I don't own one and since I'm not a fan of EVFs it's doubtful I ever will. 

The higher megapixel camera's images are beautiful, no doubt.  For traditional image quality and resolution they are excellent.  But many times I like a bit of grit and grain to my photos that the D700 seems to deliver better.  I'm mostly a B&W shooter.  I can't say the D700 images are more film-like but they are more pleasing to this old guy who has shot miles of Tri-X and HP5 in Nikons, Canons and Leicas.  I would say the D800 and D810 photos look more Pan-F than Tri-X/HP5 when using film as a comparison.  The D700 color is nice too although I don't shoot a lot of color and I'm a lousy judge of color science.

If you've researched the D700 online, you already know it's a solidly built camera.  Very heavy.  Add a vertical grip and it becomes even heavier.  I seldom use the grip with mine.  It's a camera with few quirks, outside the already mentioned 4-way button/dial on the back.  And it feels good in the hand--at least it does to me.  If you don't mind using a camera with dated technology, it should serve you well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version