Gear Talk > Camera Talk

wrong exposure when pressing shutter-release half way and recomposing

<< < (2/6) > >>

Matthew Currie:
Unfortunately the D7100 and 7200 don't have enough spare buttons to do everything one might like.  If you back button focus, there are only two other assignable buttons.  My current two are DOF preview on Fn, and virtual horizon on Pv.  I would happily be rid of that latter, but cranial nerve damage results in too many tilted verticals.  I don't often use flash for portraits, but if I did, I'd likely put Fv in its place.  It's a neat feature.

David H. Hartman:
I would loose the virtual horizon. I understand the issue as I have to straiten most photographs I shoot hand held.

Dave

Bent Hjarbo:
I have not been able to recreate the problem on my D500.
Could be a software error, have you the latest update installed?

Matthew Currie:
I would like to lose the horizon, as I do all right on horizontals, but on verticals I tend to tilt rather consistently by about 5 degrees, which is enough to induce more crop on fixing than  I can sometimes afford, and knowing that this occurs it also slows me way down when shooting, since I am trying to figure out how to avoid the tilt.  The artificial horizon fixes both these issues fairly well, and when I turn it off I find myself wanting it back.

thrillmetoo:
Thank you all for replying so quickly and excuse me for waiting too long for my answer.
All your answers make sense. But I don't use back button focus and I have the latest firmware. I use the Fn button for the artificial horizon and the preview button to toggle the grid.
The problem is, with AEL off on the shutter button (c1 in the custom setting menu), I expect the exposure including the auto ISO to change according to the scene, even when engaging the shutter button half way. I don't want the exposure to lock. I want the shutter button to only lock the focus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version