Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Help with DAMN! (Digital Assets Management Now! :0)

(1/13) > >>

David H. Hartman:
There are two discussions running just now that touch on DAM but maybe a general discussion is in order.

I never developed any scheme for DAM. I save NEF files by Camera Model, Date and a running number, e.g. D850_DSC0000.NEF which is nothing more than appending a prefix of D850 or the camera model to the number the camera assigns to my NEF(s). They are saved in folders by date, e.g. D850_2021-mm-dd_9999. The trailing number created by Nikon Transfer 2 is an aid to returning to a folder from a specific series of photographs.

My filing system for NEF(s) is out of hand and increasingly useless: remember the camera model, remember the approximate date, sift through thumbnails.

I'm sure many here are more prolific as photographers and have much better filing systems and are using catalogs and XMP/IPTC data to locate specific photographs. Also many are using GPS data tagging and wonder if that is being accessed to locate photographs and how. My system is basically a digital shoe box under the bed filled with digital negatives.

I hope not too many have such a poor system.

Dave

Snoogly:
I need to know how to make Nikon Transfer 2 save in dated folders. It was fine until I did a computer update, but now for the life of me I can't find the setting to create folders with the date.

David H. Hartman:
Under the “Primary Destination” tab I set “(x) Create subfolder for each transfer.” I set new name “D850” <Underscore> <Date Transferred> in the form of yyyy-mm-dd then <None> then trailing number in the form of 99999. There is a slider to set the number of digits and you can edit the next number to be used if needed.

This is all in a dialogue box called “Folder Naming.”

The reason for using the YYYY-MM-DD format is a computer will display the folder in ascending order for easy access in Finder or Explorer. If a format of MM-DD-YYYY or DD-MM-YYYY is used it's more difficult to locate the desired folder by date. If there are several folders with one date the running number at the end keeps them in order and saving an *.nxd or *.nka (Save all adjustments) file needs to be in the same folder with the NEF who's adjustments they pertain to.

I hope this makes sense.  :)

Dave

Snoogly:
Many thanks.

It’s such an ugly app, especially the settings panels, but you helped me figure it out.

Anthony:
I have created a logical (to me) folder structure. For finding photos, the least useful information to me is the camera model and then the date the photos were taken. I use the Photo Mechanic 6+ catalogue program, but my underlying folder structure is independent of any software other than the operating system.

Them Hogan has some interesting thoughts https://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-articles/file-hierarchy.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version