Author Topic: 55/1.2 K-version  (Read 2454 times)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
55/1.2 K-version
« on: August 05, 2015, 13:16:19 »
Does this lens works on modern DSLR's like the D810?
I tried google but could not get anything definitive.
Chris Dees

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: 55/1.2 K-version
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 14:09:22 »
It's a non-Ai, so will not mount D810.

It will mount and work on Df

It can be modifyed to work on D810 etc but not sure if there is room for an CPU...
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 14:28:23 »
The factory Ai-converted K lenses are not scarce.  You should be able to locate a converted 55/1.2 without much hassle.  The modified one will work on all FX bodies and D7200 (I only mention the current model here), after you register it to the camera.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 14:31:06 »
Thanks Erik.

Akira, I found a nice one but the seller could only tell me it's a K-version which I already found out using Roland's database. So no idea if it's already AI-d.

I'll pass on this one. :)
Chris Dees

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 14:42:12 »
Akira, I found a nice one but the seller could only tell me it's a K-version which I already found out using Roland's database. So no idea if it's already AI-d.

I can only speak about Japan, but...

The K-version was current during the transition period from non-Ai to Ai.  When Nikon released the earliest Ai bodies F2A, AS, Nikomat (domestic name for Nikkormat) FT3 and Nikon EL2, they offered the free conversion service of the existing non-Ai lenses to Ai (one lens per one newly purchased Ai body).  Of course, Nikon offered Ai-conversion kits for many of the pre-existing lenses, and non-Ai lenses could be converted at Nikon for relatively low cost.  As a result, there are plenty of non-Ai lenses officially Ai-converted, and their serial numbers are much younger than the ones indicated in Roland's website.

It is very easy to tell the factory Ai-converted K and non-converted K.  If the light meter coupling prong on the aperture ring (rabbit ear) is perforated, and there are two aperture scales on both sides of the prong, it is factory Ai-modified K lens, assuming that its serial number falles within the range for the K version.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 11:16:31 »

I can only speak about Japan, but...

The K-version was current during the transition period from non-Ai to Ai.  When Nikon released the earliest Ai bodies F2A, AS, Nikomat (domestic name for Nikkormat) FT3 and Nikon EL2, they offered the free conversion service of the existing non-Ai lenses to Ai (one lens per one newly purchased Ai body).  Of course, Nikon offered Ai-conversion kits for many of the pre-existing lenses, and non-Ai lenses could be converted at Nikon for relatively low cost.  As a result, there are plenty of non-Ai lenses officially Ai-converted, and their serial numbers are much younger than the ones indicated in Roland's website.

It is very easy to tell the factory Ai-converted K and non-converted K.  If the light meter coupling prong on the aperture ring (rabbit ear) is perforated, and there are two aperture scales on both sides of the prong, it is factory Ai-modified K lens, assuming that its serial number falles within the range for the K version.

Thanks, Akira. It's not AI-d, so I'll pass on this one. :)
Chris Dees