Author Topic: Beach - summer - sun!  (Read 3564 times)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
Beach - summer - sun!
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:11:07 »
Recently I visited Greece. I’ve taken the below shots in my 7 years old D200 using Nikkor 18-200mm VR-II. If you can please share your opinion on how I could do better (using the same gear) for the below compositions, that will be immensely helpful.
Have I made them too contrasty during post processing? Are they too flat? etc. etc.
Anirban Halder

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
Re: Beach - summer - sun!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:13:17 »
Not much critique from me but I think you did well with #2, impressive landscape.
Jørgen Ramskov

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 19:38:53 »
Thanks a lot, Jørgen!
Anirban Halder

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 20:24:40 »
I dont think I would have managed such nice holiday photos - seriously

1. nice view of the whole beach - showing what it looks like. You might want to check the horizon - cant see if it is straight - but feels a tad off

2. top of mountain - CA green visible - can be fixed with PS

3 & 5 nice shots - check that horizon - its skew in both
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 02:17:59 »
I like the wine drinkers on the straw umbrella backdrop. They are so busy recreating *LOL*
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 07:03:20 »
I dont think I would have managed such nice holiday photos - seriously
Thanks for the compliment Elsa and for the feedback to improve them. We travelled with our 1.5 yrs old daughter. I barely could manage to take few shots here n there. And, you are being too humble. I've seen your Africa and Turkey photos. They are mind-blowing and extremely compelling. We virtually travel to those places through your photographs. Keep them coming.

I like the wine drinkers on the straw umbrella backdrop. They are so busy recreating *LOL*
You got that right Frank!  :D
Anirban Halder

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 09:10:32 »
Landscapes are great. People - not so much.
 It is difficult to shoot people on the beach, even though there is a wealth of great material, especially if it is an open public beach. It is a great social picture where characters are quite naked in more than one sense. Essentially it is street photography with all its principles applied, but people just do not understand why do we want to shoot people on the beach, they think we are some kind of perverts with a camera. To pull a good thoughtful shot there is tough. I do not have a nerve to shoot on the beach, to be honest. I am on the holidays atm, spending my days on the beach, and even though it is so tempting, I do not shoot there. But probably I will post one or two images when I get back home to my computer in September.  8)
But landscapes are great.
Alexander

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 15:57:08 »
It is a nice set! The D200 has something special.

I am definitely not qualified to critique but I will try (I leave comments about horizon and CA out because they've been mentioned already):

#1: I would crop the mountain on the right out.

#2: I wonder how that one will look like in 16:9 or 16:10 (w/o rock bottom right). But just wondering. I like the colors etc.

#3: looks great

#4: to me, the OOF area should have either more OOF or sharp. It's now in the middle. But that may have been impossible with the lens. Otherwise it is a great scene!!

#5: I had the same feeling here as in #2: what if you crop to 16:9 (crop part of bottom out).

Just my 2 cents!
Peter

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 11:18:21 »
It is a nice set! The D200 has something special.

I am definitely not qualified to critique but I will try (I leave comments about horizon and CA out because they've been mentioned already):

#1: I would crop the mountain on the right out.

#2: I wonder how that one will look like in 16:9 or 16:10 (w/o rock bottom right). But just wondering. I like the colors etc.

#5: I had the same feeling here as in #2: what if you crop to 16:9 (crop part of bottom out).

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks Peter for your comments. I tried your suggestions to crop 16:9 for those two photos. They indeed look even better! :)
Anirban Halder

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30:39 »
All I can say is that they are great images from your travel.  D200 has proved to be still going strong.

As Elsa pointed out, I observe some chromatic abarration in the fine details, but they can easily be corrected in the post process.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 15:56:03 »
All I can say is that they are great images from your travel.  D200 has proved to be still going strong.
Thanks Akira. Under good light, D200 rocks. I'm planning to buy a D610/D750 and I'm being forced to sell D200 to fund it partially. If I had any other options, I surely would have kept this D200 body for years to come.
Anirban Halder