Author Topic: The truth about Zeiss lenses, explained by Zeiss  (Read 2722 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
The truth about Zeiss lenses, explained by Zeiss
« on: July 29, 2015, 20:29:57 »
Though this article on the official Zeiss blog is mainly meant to explain the partnership with Sony it also contains some interesting details about Zeiss labeled lenses available for other mounts like the Nikon DSLR cameras, might settle some persistently returning discussions about where the lenses are made, etc :)

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=6131
Cheers,
Jan Anne

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: The truth about Zeiss lenses, explained by Zeiss
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 21:12:45 »
The 'article', or more a kind of 'advertorial', is at least a bit unbalanced as the name of manufacturer and glass-producer Cosina isn't mentioned at all.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 23:14:00 »
Not Cosina specifically, but they do mention Japan:
ZEISS still picture lenses are manufactured in Japan and ZEISS cine lenses in ZEISS’s factory in Oberkochen/Germany.

The Batis line are autofocus lenses, does Cosina have the capability to make modern auto focus lenses?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 23:58:36 »
That's a bit unclear in the article, is it?   And Cosina is not very transparent and gives hardly any information. Could not even find an annual report.

I did some research about the Zeiss Batis lenses and found an interview with Dr. Michael Pollmann, product manager consumerlens of Zeiss.

"Where are the lenses made?

"For the manufacture of ZEISS lenses, we use a global production network of trusted partners in the optical industry that has been built up over many years. ZEISS Batis lenses are made in Japan."

Source: http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=5983  But the factory is still unknown   ;)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 00:15:39 »
At least they are consistant in their communication :)

If Cosina makes the Batis lenses then there's a small chance they might come up with some autofocus lenses under their Voigtlander brand.
Cheers,
Jan Anne