Author Topic: CPU chips and hardware for sale: Call for interest  (Read 33855 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: CPU chips and hardware for sale: Call for interest
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 17:50:34 »
Yes, but the internal linkage coupling focusing and aperture must be "broken" so these operate independently. Then, as the lens has no normal means of communicating aperture to/from the camera, one must use a "G" chip.

I have done a few of these over the years and recommend the first step of undoing the linkage be conducted by a qualified Nikon repair shop, as this is seated deep into the lens casing.

longknives

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 18:11:20 »
Yes, but the internal linkage coupling focusing and aperture must be "broken" so these operate independently. Then, as the lens has no normal means of communicating aperture to/from the camera, one must use a "G" chip.

I have done a few of these over the years and recommend the first step of undoing the linkage be conducted by a qualified Nikon repair shop, as this is seated deep into the lens casing.

Very nice, I have been searching for a 120 repair manual after reading a post of yours about the mods you did to your lens just too see how involved it was, never found it though. Can you recommend a shop over here in the USA by any chance?

longknives

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 01:27:55 »
How do I go about getting you paid for that G chip?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 02:37:43 »
Abroad at present, but can deal with this in a weeks' time. A 'G' chip programmed for the 120 with mounting hardware and shipping will cost around 75 USD, payable through Paypal.

longknives

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 02:46:16 »
Abroad at present, but can deal with this in a weeks' time. A 'G' chip programmed for the 120 with mounting hardware and shipping will cost around 75 USD, payable through Paypal.

OK, I will get in touch next week.

Geomiljo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 13:49:08 »
Would chipping the Voightländer 180 be a good idea?

/Johan

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 14:08:48 »
Certainly. I have delivered several CPU kits for this lens.

Be advised, however, that the Voigtländer APO-Lanthars are built in a manner unlike most other lenses and therefore modifying them calls for expertise. This is because they really have replaceable rear ends to fit various camera brands and this in turn adds a lot of extra bits and pieces inside (for reversing the direction of the aperture ring etc.).

Our 'Dr. Lens', Erik Lund, will do this for you. Send him a PM and inform me of the outcome so I can send him the required parts.

Good luck with your lens. It is a small and neat yet powerful lens.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 19:18:59 »
Bjorn,
Do you have a chip for the 50mm f1.8 E lens?
Sometimes when using it with auto-ISO the camera will miss the exposure by a big margin

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 19:41:08 »
I have, but modifying this lens is a little tricky due to the required internal trimming. Erik Lund will do it for you (for a fee) if you ask him, though.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 09:29:21 »
The fee is 100€ for the uncomplicated lenses.
200€ for complicated lenses.
500€ for the impossible lenses...
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 09:44:46 »
I assume the fee for 'impossible' lenses takes the longer work hours into consideration ??

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 09:47:08 »
Yes  :) It reflect the non-commercial approach to chipping.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 09:52:28 »
Over the years, quite a few of these 'impossible' projects have been duly documented here and elsewhere.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2016, 19:39:34 »
Thanks guys

Considering the little use I give to the lens, and that it costed me 70 dollars, plus about $50 for shipping and import fees, in this case I would have to send it to Europe, buy the chip, pay for the install ... this does not look very cost effective

Instead I'll like to try my luck, a dremel and a bit of patience does magic, but if I mess it up, I can just buy another one ...  I see a few on amazon in the same price range, in the process I may have some fun and learn something new

I have an unused 18-55 zoom from where  I might be able to take some parts , like the contacts , I'm guessing here, assuming those parts can be taken , I can take a look later today

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2016, 20:32:25 »
The CPU modification can never be anything else than a "cottage industry". As with any manual labour process, it is by definition going to be expensive. However, one modifies a lens not for getting the lowest price, but to reap the advantages of having a lens fully compatible with any F-mount camera. Look for features supported by Ai-P lenses in the manual for any current camera.

When one deals with loads of manual lenses, one quickly learns to appreciate the improved support. And the EXIF information will be automatically  correct too.