Author Topic: CPU chips and hardware for sale: Call for interest  (Read 33848 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
CPU chips and hardware for sale: Call for interest
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:32:07 »
[First posted 16 June 2014 - 22:37 on FZ]

Except of the original article follows;

Just a short notice to announce I once again can take orders for CPU prints for virtually any lens in Nikon 'F' mount. These prints can be tailored to match specifications of the host lens, even providing the exact focal and aperture range of zoom lenses to the EXIF data. (This feature is not available with any other third-party CPU print as far as I'm aware of).

The hardware is displayed below. This is the ultimate means of making your favourite 'F' mount lens that more functional. After CPU modification you will get a lens that can be used with any 'F' mount camera to give full metering capability. Also extension tubes, bellows devices, preset lenses, etc. can be modified in this manner. The modified lens can be programmed to operate in 'P' or 'G' mode and will keep metering accuracy in either mode (unlike some other products left unnamed).

I provide CPU layouts optimised for a wide variety of host lenses. Some will require the short 5-pin contact block, others can or should use the longer type (7-11 pin block). I can negotiate sales of the blocks (original factory spare parts). Shoot me a PM. USCamera.com is a good source of long blocks. Do look into the contact assemblies say for the 12-24 Nikkor, as this is the better kind in quality terms.

I have seen *many* modified lenses with quite roughly positioned fixing screws  (not my own or Erik's, of course). Thus I'm considering to offer template jigs to allow precision drilling. You will need separate jigs for short and long blocks as their fixing holes are not identically located. Again, contact me for details.

Prices are tentative slashed 15-20% compared to earlier years. Exact prices depend on order size etc.

The batch run referred to soon was sold out. However, in order to give the opportunity to more people to upgrade their old F-mount lenses, I intend to set up a poll in order to verify there is sufficient interest for a new production run.  Within the scope of NG, Erik Lund can assist in making the conversion if you don't fancy yourself being or becoming a certified NG nerd !

Please cast your vote(s) in the Poll above.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: CPU chips and hardware for sale: Call for interest
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:00:24 »
Great to see this call for interest. Perhaps there should be another choice in the poll: I have already chipped all my manual focus lenses with custom chips, but if I acquire another one (or more) I would definitely want a custom chip for it.
Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:04:20 »
That's voting for Alternative 1.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:23:30 »
Done!
Øivind Tøien

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:37:13 »
Hi Bjorn!

Recently I got repro nikkor 85/1.0 lens.
Can you, please, find the chip for this lens?

Cheers

Andrew
Andrew Iwanowski

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 14:01:20 »
Fortunately, this lens indeed can be CPU-enabled, as the EXIf specification allows f/1.0.

The CPU has to be "G" type in this case, as there is no mechanical linkage. Set your camera to M mode, dial in the aperture you want (f/1 to f/8), meter the scene, then stop down the lens to the set aperture. Not as simple as with ordinary lenses, but entirely doable and you do get perfect metering.

Not certain if I have a CPU available at present - almost all my inventory is sold out by now, but will have a look for it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 18:10:04 »
Based upon this informal poll, I see there is some interest in providing a fresh set of chips. When I get my head over water and the site runs smoothly with demanding minute-to-minute attention, I'll sit down and look into the costs of starting a new production run. The run must be of sufficient size so as to distribute evenly the overhead costs.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 15:17:59 »
I am happort to report back that there is sufficient interest in a new batch of CPU chips, and thus have initialised the process one more time. Delivery will probably start over the summer.

No firm price set at present, but I believe the CPU parts supplied by me can see a further cut in price. On the other hand, the pricing on Nikon spare parts continue to increase. Thus, the final price reduction might not be entirely what I had hoped for. But I do my best.

The CPU chips will be programmed to mimic the host lens as closely as possible in focal length(s) and aperture range. The EXIF specification allows providing a lens aperture to within 1/12 stop, although most EXIF read-out software round this to the nearest 1/6 stop and the camera itself might go one step further by using 1/3 or even 1/2 stop.  Thus a lens can be programmed to for example 100 mm f/1.5, but the camera might show f/1.4 or f/1.6 on the display. The data read out by EXIFTool or similar will most likely show f/1.5. All of this stems from the adaptations of the aperture scale to be "human" instead of strictly mathematical precise. Thus, we all think of f/5.6 as obtained by multiplying f/1.4 by four, but the real value should be rounded to f/5.7 since f/1.4 really is f/1.414... Hence software read-outs might be f/5.6 or f/5.7  depending on how rounding is handled, whilst a camera will display f/5.6. Both representations are "correct" seen in the appropriate context.

There are so many ways of modifying a lens and some of this depends on the parts one has available for the modding project. Thus it might not be necessary to get the original Nikon replacements. If you buy contact blocks from sources such as USCamera.com (ask for the one for 12-24 DX, not those for the 18-55 kit lenes) or from eBay sellers, be aware of the distinction between various block models as not every host lens can deal with them. It is best to contact me directly by PM to discuss details.

I will add a separate thread in which the actual modifications and any questions about these can be dealt with.

Maxim Legenchenko

• ________________
  • NG Member
  • RU
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 00:20:56 »
Bjørn, have you ever heard about Victor Lushnikov's Nikkor's lens CPUs for manual lens?
It was developed by Victor some years ago and we called it "dandelion" in Russia. CPU is programmable from camera and have compact "unibody" form-factor.
Maxim L.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 00:27:00 »
I'm only too well acquainted with the Dandelions and their somewhat rough reputation. If I had found them acceptable, I hadn't embarked on my own CPU development project.

Maxim Legenchenko

• ________________
  • NG Member
  • RU
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 00:50:39 »
Ok, i understand. You are doing right and useful job Bjørn!
Maxim L.

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 04:56:13 »
Bjorn -

I assume you are still working on getting the chips made for sale? 

I'd probably buy 4-6 of them myself for my:
20/2.8AIS
16/3.5 AI (a tough one due to the machining)
105/2.5 AIS
135/2 AIS
135/3.5 AIS
400/5.6 ED AI

- John
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 09:58:30 »
I probably have the first units available for delivery over the summer. A notice to that effect will be posted.

As you correctly surmised, the 16 is not the easiest one, mainly due to the need to machine off a lot of metal from the rear lens cell container. A handful of modified 16/3.5 lenses bear witness that CPU conversion *is* possible, though.

In common with the 15/3.5, the 16/3.5 is very sensitive to the correct specification of the exit pupil parameters in order to deliver reliable metering. You should of course only set aperture directly on the lens since this is an AI not AIS.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 13:32:30 »
I have a first set of CPUs ready for sale now. Anyone interested, please contact me either here or by PM.

I hold the opinion that any modification project should be shown and discussed here on NG. In that manner, broader insights can be obtained and any problems solved by the member community at large.

Ole Gammelsæter

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My photo sharing site
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 21:44:38 »
Hi,
I have plans to acquire a couple more MF lenses, and perhaps some extension rings.

Regards
Ole
Ole Gammelsæter