Author Topic: CPU chips and hardware for sale: Call for interest  (Read 33851 times)

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: CPU chips and hardware for sale: Call for interest
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2016, 12:26:24 »
Hi Bjørn!

I would love to have my 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor to be chipped, so I can take advantage of trap focusing.

My copy is the 3rd generation I believe, and I think the rear mount would have to be machined to fit in a dandelion chip or anything that does the job.

May I please have a quote? I can take the mount off and mail it if needed, no way it's possible for me to do it myself, I have 0 experience. Looking to get the job done end of this year, after my final exams :)

Thanks!
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2018, 17:10:33 »
Is there any chance for this to be revived? 😀
Keep shooting,
Bern

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2018, 17:54:31 »
At present, not very likely. The production and subsequent sales took a lot of my time and drained financial resources. Concomitantly Nikon spare parts saw a massive price hike (contact block parts).

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 07:41:40 »
Well if you do change your mind Birna, I have a number of lenses that would really love to be chipped.............  ;D

And don't be afraid to charge what the parts are really costing you - you should not under any circumstances end up out of pocket because in times gone by you have really helped a great many of us to extract better performance and flexibility from our older lenses and accessories.  Possibly with the recent arrival of the Z6 & Z7 and the FTZ adapter it will continue to make good sense to chip our older lenses.  Just my 0.02c worth.
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 07:47:41 »
ill keep an eye for them...if i found a cheap supplier i will let you know :o :o :o

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2018, 08:52:01 »
+1 I also have a few lenses to chip.
Bruno Schröder

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2018, 13:46:59 »
ill keep an eye for them...if i found a cheap supplier i will let you know :o :o :o

Thanks Richard. There are hardly any supplier that can be found here in the Philippines. Hopefully you have better luck and connections.
Keep shooting,
Bern

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2018, 13:49:44 »
I can order the contact block parts directly from Nikon. Apart from the increased price, and sometimes a bit of waiting for the delivery, no issues.

The dedicated CPU prints, however, will  require a new production run with all the overhead that entails.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 14:07:13 »
Keeping my fingers crossed and hope for good news.
Keep shooting,
Bern

rohart

• NG Member
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2019, 23:39:44 »
I've been out of photography for a while, but now I'm back in the loop I find that chipping some of my lenses has become a priority for me.

I've managed to suppress that new-joiner syndrome of providing a life history, and I'll cut to the chase.

I wonder if it would be too much to ask Bjorn/Birna to share some of the technical details of their past work with some forum members if it is not in their plans to continue to produce what sounds like it was a great range of products. I'm referring particularly to the route they took and the methods they used to create and program the chips and the circuits.

I should add that I have no commercial interest - everything I do is hobby or volunteering and both of these leave me well out of pocket.

Sad to be late to the party, but glad to join the clan !
Richard Hart

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2019, 09:56:02 »
Yes that would be great to hear from B, I have only heard parts of the story over the years, I believe it was never disclosed to protect the intellectual property and not to 'offend' Nikon ;)

Also Nikon has never acknowledged that it even works for all of their MF lenses even though they have a few AI-P lenses that does exactly the same thing!

It is possible to find some of the Nikon CPU enigma among other tidbits if you google for instance:

Reverse engineering Nikon CPU

Among other things the clue to the history behind Dandelion CPU's and LensId list for Nikon lenses pop up  ;)
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2019, 10:24:51 »
One walks on a tight rope vs a big company such as Nikon. They are aware of what I have done, but tolerate this as long as it is a minute niche activity of the 'cottage' kind. Their interest is of course to sell new lenses, not having old ones recycled without any direct profit to the company. Arguably a short-sighted perspective on the situation, but that's how it is.

Relationships built over many years mean I can order factory parts and spares. Unfortunately the last years have seen a significant price hike on parts and that in combination with all the hassle of helping people to implement their CPU modifications - and solve issues when they do something stupid - plus the declining market for bespoke and seemingly expensive solutions made me decide to drop the CPU project once inventory ran out.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 10:39:24 »
The chipped lenses will for sure survive for a very long time and remain sought after items.

A huge thank you for your work making chipping F-mount lenses of all sorts possible!

Erik Lund

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 14:25:55 »
A huge thank you for your work making chipping F-mount lenses of all sorts possible!

Same from me.  :)
Chris Dees

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2019, 10:59:49 »
And from me also.  Your PCBs simply work. 

My experience with Dandelion chips however has been fraught.  I cannot be 100% sure, but the AF in one of my D200 bodies ceased working after having a lens with a Dandelion chip mounted on it. 

Same from me.  :)
Hugh Gunn