Author Topic: Tripod Thread  (Read 16473 times)

Booter

• NG Member
  • Chasing Light
Re: Tripod Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2015, 23:56:21 »
About 35 years ago I picked up a couple of series 3 Gitzo Studex tripods (G320 & a G326 compact). They are still meeting my needs though they are not light. The compact needed surgery to get to ground level so I employed a hacksaw to the center column below the head. One of my friends who was also an photo enthusiast was somewhat taken back by my new go-to-ground tripod and asked "how could I do that to a Gitzo"? I think my reply was something close to "with not too much effort".

When (if) I finally wear them out I will look seriously at the Sachtler line.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 04:06:58 »
There were short posts available for those Gitzos, while they were still current models.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 04:46:11 »
The current Gitzo center column is designed so that you can remove the column part and connect the top plate and the bottom hook directly.  I think this is also compatible with older models.

Also, Markins offers replacement kits which convert the center column style Gitzo to the one without the column:

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/category.php?req=6
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 07:19:01 »
The  Sachtler DA75 are not too difficult to find second hand. Their design is very robust making it a rather safe purchase. If they are a bit cosmetically worn and are sold without head, they can even be had rather cheap.
Bruno Schröder

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 19:04:59 »
The current Gitzo center column is designed so that you can remove the column part and connect the top plate and the bottom hook directly.  I think this is also compatible with older models.

Also, Markins offers replacement kits which convert the center column style Gitzo to the one without the column:

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/category.php?req=6

Yes...I just checked my ancient aluminum Gitzo 220, and the more recent, non-rotating CF center column from my GT2531 does fit into the old tripod.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Booter

• NG Member
  • Chasing Light
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 01:04:30 »
Thanks for the tips and updates on the pieces parts and the model to look for used,  a bit too late for my short pod but good to know!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 04:22:10 »
...The compact needed surgery to get to ground level so I employed a hacksaw to the center column below the head. One of my friends who was also an photo enthusiast was somewhat taken back by my new go-to-ground tripod and asked "how could I do that to a Gitzo"? I think my reply was something close to "with not too much effort".

I performed the same type of surgery to my little aluminum Gitzo 120 which I bought in a pretty "well used" shape 16 years ago at a  little over $100 with a Gitzo tilt head (which I have never used). Apart from sawing off the locking part for the center column and mounting the platform directly with a bolt, I added bicycle cork handlebar tape on the upper segment of the legs for comfortable handling in the cold. It also has required some good use of marine epoxy to avoid the upper segment unscrewing from the articulation part (the little set screw did not hold), and red Locktite to prevent the screws holding the legs (articulation part) to the platform to keep coming loose. With these modifications it is holding up very well, and at a weight of 1.5 kg without my BH-40 head. It supports my AF-300mm f/4 with TC-14E on a D200 etc. pretty well with only one segment extended as below. With TC-301 the rig gets a bit on the long side, but stability problems is then just as much caused by the mechanical linkages between converter and lens/body. I think the tetrahedral default spread of these legs which is wider than often seen in other more recent tripods also adds to stability.

I feel the aluminum is quite resilient to impacts - I never pad it in my large backpack during flights. Once a kid sled into one of the outer segment while I was holding the tripod firmly down and the segment was bent pretty badly so the tripod could not be collapsed. I just straightened the segment with my hands, and today I cannot tell which of the segments were bent. I am always interested in what is out there in case it gets damaged or I feel it is not working for my purpose any longer, but both the large diameter CF tripods and the Sachtler DA75 seem to get more bulky with respect to thickness when travelling to fit inside along the side of my regular (non-photo) backpack. For me it is also important that the tripod does not have any knobs extending to the side that get hung up when I stuff it down inside the backpack. (The small yellow knobs for the metal pieces setting the angle of the legs has been removed since the image below was captured.)

A note added about using a tripod in the snow: The fixed angle stops can be a problem here. If the legs are spread all the way to the stop when pushing the tripod down in not so loose snow, it will often bend the legs outward which can both compromise stability and can cause potential damage if putting too much stain on the legs. Thus do not spread legs all the way to the stop before putting it down. (Notice to self: look for a way to keep the locks from engaging during winter use.)

Severe cold (<20°C ) will frequently prevent the tripod to get collapsed again. I have often had to carry it back home extended strapped to my backpack after an aurora shot, and I have heard many similar complaints from CF tripod users in these cold regions.
Øivind Tøien

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 09:43:35 »
My Gitzo hasn't broken down yet ;) so I'm not looking for a tripod currently but thought I would mention http://www.3leggedthing.com/
It's a relatively new company and I've seen them mentioned a couple of times in positive tones. I wonder whether anyone here has tried them?
Jørgen Ramskov

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 11:34:47 »
I have to agree with Bjorn regarding water and Gitzo...

If there is only moderate depth the thinnest section can be immersed in water (taking care that the first lock does not get wet) and as long as you don't collapse it back in before it has dried, it shouldn't have any adverse effects. I do this in the winter when needed as if the locks get into water they will quickly freeze and to dry it it has to be disassembled. Not to mention the crud that gets into the locks can lead to less than smooth operation. ;-) It is repairable but not very convenient. ;-) However, I would consider this kind of application outside of the "expected" use for the regular Gitzo tripods. If you plan to do this a lot then choose something else.

Gitzo makes a series of Ocean tripods which are supposed to be resistant to seawater. They have o-rings to prevent / reduce the influx of water and crud. They're fairly expensive though.

What I like about Gitzos is that for my stability requirements  they are fairly light weight, the systematic series have a good highest/lowest height ratio (roughly 15x), and with the 4-section 3-series ones, collapsed size is compact and manageable. I need the tripod to be fairly tall to get to my eye level and have even one model that achieves that height even on a slope (it is 167cm fully extended yet weights only 2.2kg). There are no perturbations or knobs that could get stuck in branches when going through a forest. 

Jan-Petter Midtgård

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2015, 09:09:04 »
Sirui have a new series of tripods which are supposed to be sealed and waterproof: http://mob.sirui-photo.com/productseries.php?productclassid=74

I haven't tried the W series, but I do have a Sirui R-4203 which I'm very happy with.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2017, 22:12:20 »
Despairing that my manfrotto 055 was just a bit too flexible I looked for something more stable and found an old Sachtler with a 100mm bowl and fluid head. Leg sections are about 80cm each so it is nice and tall.

Untitled

It feels like a rock. And it weighs as much as one. The head alone is 3.5kg.
Any suggestions for a lighter head to go on it for still photography?
Also, to satisfy my curiousity, does anyone have an idea of the age of it?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2017, 22:54:10 »
Sachtler commenced business in 1958, so must be one of their earliest products. I'd put it as early '60s.

Obvious no carbon fibre tubes there so can imagine it'll be heavy. The Burzynski is almost made for these tripods as it fits straight into the top bowl and makes for the lowest centre of gravity, but nowadays getting one of these heads has  become very difficult if not well-nigh impossible. Might be heads with somewhat similar construction principle out there, however.