Author Topic: Scotland?  (Read 35209 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Scotland?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 10:10:13 »
Man cannot control biodiversity, only destroy it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:34 »
Man can make room to let biodiversity reenter space
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 11:14:49 »
I have been away for a few days and so have a little catching-up to do.

Frank - I am aware of Trees for Life, and their praiseworthy efforts in the remnants of the old Caledonian forest. If we do organise a week's get-together of NG members here in Scotland, anyone who wanted to, could volunteer for a day - or longer - with one of TFL's working parties and drive over there in a rented car. However, probably any greater involvement with TFL is outside the range of activities members might expect during a photographic week. But, as I say, individual members could make their own decision about this. TFL's main area of interest is about 2 hours' drive from here.

If you are interested in the wildlife they are trying to protect - red squirrel, fox, badger, black grouse, capercaillie, pine-marten, otter, and so on - we have them all here too, but in 12 years of living in our present village, surrounded by nature including plenty of woodland, I have never seen any of them except squirrels and otters. Wildlife is generally shy, elusive, not particularly common, and nocturnal. I expect you could spend a week in the Caledonian Forest and so no wildlife at all except the more common small birds.

smusesuse

• NG Member
  • The Hague, Netherlands
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 11:13:44 »
I've done just the bare minimum of internet searching into suitable accommodation in or near Killin. There is a holiday park with 9 self-catering lodges, four of which sleep up to 8 people. These are fully-equipped holiday homes - no roughing it here - there is a bar and restaurant, riding stables, boat hire, etc, etc. Highland Lodges is a few km from Killin along the north side of LochTay.

This is exactly where I did that summer job years ago. It's a lovely place, a bit in the middle of nowhere, overlooking Loch Tay. I would love to return next year!
Suse

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:41 »
This is exactly where I did that summer job years ago. It's a lovely place, a bit in the middle of nowhere, overlooking Loch Tay. I would love to return next year!

My son also worked there, for about 18 months, before returning to university as a mature student. If you worked there more than 3 or 4 years ago, I think you will find it has changed and improved quite a lot.

smusesuse

• NG Member
  • The Hague, Netherlands
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 09:48:21 »
My son also worked there, for about 18 months, before returning to university as a mature student. If you worked there more than 3 or 4 years ago, I think you will find it has changed and improved quite a lot.
It was in 2002 and from what I can gather from their website, yes, it has changed a lot. I remember that the former owner had a ridiculous statue of herself close to the road. :D But again, I remember the area to be very beautiful, I also liked Killin.
Suse

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 12:37:48 »
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 12:44:07 »
The Isle of Skye is a great place to be. Sure. IIRC Dave dies not live in Skye.

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 12:48:36 »
Why we should go to Scotland in 18 photos:

Well, we might not manage all of those in a week . . . but very soon I'll post a few pics of stuff that is around here or within easy reach by car.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 12:51:48 »
If you are interested in the wildlife they are trying to protect - red squirrel, fox, badger, black grouse, capercaillie, pine-marten, otter, and so on - we have them all here too, but in 12 years of living in our present village, surrounded by nature including plenty of woodland, I have never seen any of them except squirrels and otters. Wildlife is generally shy, elusive, not particularly common, and nocturnal. I expect you could spend a week in the Caledonian Forest and so no wildlife at all except the more common small birds.

Monbiot diagnoses that the Scottish and Welsh Mountains suffer from a) Sheepdisease and b) Deerdisease. Both of these Industries keep forest from regenerating and create grazing deserts with erosion patterns like we can see in the big picture on the frontside of Jan Anne's posted link. That is why "wildlife" is so scarce/rare here. Biodiversity needs Biodiversity to flourish. More and different kinds of trees, beavers who make the waters flow slower and create puddles where many different insects can multiply to feed a pletora of birds. Lynx and wulf  to keep deer controlled and so on.

Great to hear that you have Woodlands near your place where we can possibly meet some animals large and small...

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 14:14:39 »
Thanks for putting this to action David!

Will be lots of fun ;)
Erik Lund

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 14:33:59 »
Thanks for putting this to action David!
Will be lots of fun ;)

Hey, Erik - it will be great if you come along.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 15:38:17 »

Do you have the Scottish wildcat anywhere near you? I understand they are almost extinct, and that one has better chance of seeing a unicorn than one of these small tigers. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that there are real wild cats on the British isles.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 16:14:58 »
I am looking forward to Scotland next year!
Spring or Autumn are both good options for me.
Scotland is always present at our gatherings via Laphroaig anyhow :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 16:44:40 »
Do you have the Scottish wildcat anywhere near you? I understand they are almost extinct, and that one has better chance of seeing a unicorn than one of these small tigers. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that there are real wild cats on the British isles.

The answer is most probably yes, but with the chance of seeing one virtually zero. In my entire life I have seen a dead one, once, that's all. They are famously shy and elusive, their markings make excellent camouflage, especially at night - and they are nocturnal! But we have everything here that they like - plenty of mixed woodland whose fringes give access to moorland, the lower slopes of mountains, and even farmers' fields (for rabbits) - so they are almost certain to be present.