Author Topic: Scotland?  (Read 35469 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Scotland?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 00:32:35 »
We won't hold the weather against you Dave - it's a promise :D

With the indicated interest by the poll I think it's time to move the event from an idea into the next stage providing suggested date(s) etc.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 07:25:04 »
We will hold bad clothing against anyone choosing to wear it
no
Wheather will take care of them.
I am not shy to use ridicoulous looking wear as long as it is functional
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 14:02:40 »
Some sort of meeting room would be good so that participants can carry on fascinating work and conversations without boring outsiders.
Anthony Macaulay

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 14:38:59 »
An excellent point to consider, Anthony. These NG events are basically 'come-together' and the social aspect and networking cannot be underestimated.

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 17:09:22 »
Some sort of meeting room would be good so that participants can carry on fascinating work and conversations without boring outsiders.

Agreed. I will investigate Highland Lodges a little further but I expect we will find that most of the lodges have a large lounge or livingroom which we could use for group evenings. The room we used in Lofoten was not very large, after all. And I will also check the wifi situation.

As to dates - I've been looking at my archive of photos from May and September 2014. If we go for spring, we want to have the wonderful freshness of early spring which is starting to fade by the end of the month, so I would go for the third week, beginning Sat 14th May, or at latest the following week. Bluebells will be at their peak in the woods, and in Scotland this can be quite spectacular.

In autumn it's tempting to be governed by when the autumn colours are good, but here that is not until at least mid-October and the risk of bad weather is high. In mid-September all the grasses and similar have turned colour; all UK schools have finished their summer holidays so there are fewer tourists around, and the weather risk is less than in October. Again, I would go for the third week, beginning Sat 17th September, the alternative being a week earlier, beginning the 12th.

I imagine the final choice of dates will be decided by the members taking part, remembering that we should try to book "off-peak" to get the best deal on accommodation. I will find out what the spring and autumn off-peak dates are.

Some NG members will be familiar with my images from around Killin. Later, I'll post a few pics of our other "attractions".

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 17:45:17 »
Here is the url of my proposed accommodation -

http://www.lochtay-vacations.co.uk

I had some difficulty today checking dates and availability in 2016, but I spoke with the owner on the phone and he assured me that there is plenty of accommodation in both May and Sept next year. He seemed quite excited by the prospect of housing an international group of photographers; little does he know!   ;)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 19:02:45 »
Looks good.

I have to be at a  conference in the SE of England from 20-23 May 2016.
Anthony Macaulay

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 19:18:02 »
It looks more than good enough for me.  :)
I think the end of May could be possible for me.
Chris Dees

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 19:24:09 »
I wouldn't be able to make it in the week of May 14, son's birthday on May 15. Week later is fine for me.

Autumn, September is fine for me. The weather shouldn't be that big of a problem. There's always beer, isn't there?
Hans Cremers

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 16:21:40 »
This certainly sounds interesting and I would love to go, however currently the finances aren't quite there due to being out of job.
Jørgen Ramskov

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 20:55:10 »
This certainly sounds interesting and I would love to go, however currently the finances aren't quite there due to being out of job.

Sorry to hear that, Jørgen, but as we are talking about next May at the earliest, I'm sure you will be back in work long before then. Good luck with job-hunting.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 22:35:29 »
Thanks, I sure hope I'll find something soon.
Jørgen Ramskov

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 12:19:47 »
It's a maybe from me.
Depends if I meet a nice young rich virile man that can cook - and pay for my trip - by then.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 01:24:42 »
I read about the effort to rewild the Caledonian Forest and that the Trees for Life people have in fact room for events like this.

Maybe Dave this would be an option?

Reintroducing species missing from an environment means more biodiversity means more chances for pictures of rare species.

Some of these people already discuss the reintroduction of the Caledonian Rhinozeros. Not in the near future but....

Rewilding places and people with lots of interesting opinions and experience doing so means more photographic options still.

F.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 09:56:18 »
Literature.
The upper concerning Wales and Scotland.
The lower concerning California.
Both pursuing the idea that Biodiversity is good for us.

Anderson thinks of humans as necesssary part of nature like global
gardeners or tenders.

Monbiot is more into leave nature alone but introduce megafauna
to manage  the details and kill sheep and deer which hinder the
regeneration of forests.