Author Topic: Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera  (Read 6365 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera
« on: July 16, 2019, 18:24:15 »

Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera  $3,498.00 61mp, with pixel shifting to 240mp, digital microphone and input, 15 stops dynamic range, and a lot more. Ordering as of July 18, 2019.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital Camera
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 22:10:26 »
I wonder if the 14-bit depth could embrace the 15-stop dynamic range?  Would it be time for the 16-bit RAW for the 135-size sensor camera?

Even though the resolution of EVF is increased to 5.76MP, that of LCD remains rather lower 1.44MP, which may not improve the comfort for the manual focusing on the LCD.  Nikon Z6/7 offer 2.1MP LDC screens, and D850, a 2.36MP one.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Oskar O

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 22:48:42 »
I will be buying one when the dust settles in order to upgrade from my a7R II. I'm mostly interested in improvements in AF and responsiveness, though improvements in body styling are also nice. I'm excited by the new EVF as it should be significant improvement. Pity the rear LCD didn't improve, but the EVF is more important to me. The higher resolution will offer interesting possibilities when cropping.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 13:59:41 »
I will be buying one when the dust settles in order to upgrade from my a7R II. I'm mostly interested in improvements in AF and responsiveness, though improvements in body styling are also nice. I'm excited by the new EVF as it should be significant improvement. Pity the rear LCD didn't improve, but the EVF is more important to me. The higher resolution will offer interesting possibilities when cropping.
Since the chip inside this camera is advanced, but is the same generation as II-III models, it will be overloaded with, probably about 12X, stream of info, so,  there will be  some problem with low light AF. The tracking under low light will be affected as well, as video Face tracking. This camera needs light, to be exact. What is the border level, is not clear yet. I think, close to -3, -4 EV. Great machine with some limitations, of course. Reality will tell, very soon. LZ

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 23:40:17 »
food for thought - https://petapixel.com/2019/07/19/is-sonys-pace-of-innovation-actually-hurting-the-photo-industry/
There are quite a few comments at the end of that article that take umbrage with the author's opinions. I leave it to the reader to decide concerning their validity.  ;)
Carl

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 02:50:22 »
Based on my long history with Sony (not cameras) , I have a deep mistrust of Sony.  I hate to see competition disappear, in cameras and sensors.  Shooting for number 1 does not bother me but 'killing' competition does.
I'm old so not overly worried and can always buy old tech used and just keep my Df  ;D .
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

ray_parkhurst

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 17:19:00 »
Michael...I assume you have received the A7Rm4 by now, as others have reported working with theirs. I'm very curious about how well it integrates into a focus stacking system. The A7Rm3 had only the single multi-port USB, so could not be hardwire triggered while using Live View via PC. I have read the m4 has at least 2 USB ports so am hoping hardwire triggering is possible so it can be used with StackShot/WeMacro/mjkzz controllers, but no one has been able to verify for me yet. I was also disappointed in the horrible mangling that Imaging Edge did with the m3 4-shot composites, and I'm hoping they fixed this problem for the m4 since IE otherwise seemed to work OK for the short time I used it with the m3. The 3rd party software workarounds create a difficult workflow for the m3 for anything but the simplest of stacks. Anyway, would appreciate an update on stacking with the m4 when you can...Ray

Mexecutioner

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 00:11:11 »
Interesting considerations about stack shot, perhaps even having 2 USB ports doesn't solve the dilemma. I looked for information on the Cognysis site and could not find anything specific.

I have a stackshot and may get one of these bodies. If and when I do I will test it and let you know.