Author Topic: Lenticular clouds  (Read 978 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Lenticular clouds
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:45:14 »
We quite regularly get this kind of cloud above Loch Tay, so I'm guessing there must be some connection between the cloud-formation and a large body of cold water - Loch Tay is 17 miles long, a mile wide (27x1.6km) and very deep. The water temperature is said to stay close to 8ÂșC all year round

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Lenticular clouds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 12:23:45 »
I prefer the 2nd image seems a different wb compared to the 1st image?

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 18:58:27 »
Very nice shots!

Lenticular clouds happen when a layer of moister air is forced to rise a bit higher then drops back down again, just enough for clear air to condense into cloud then evaporate again.  This can be due to waves in the atmosphere happening on their own, or due to hills or mountains forcing moving air to rise up and over them.  The clouds are often a bit downwind of the mountain, which may put them over a valley.  The presence of a lake in a valley is merely coincidence. Your Loch is surrounded by mountains quite capable of creating lenticular clouds.

There are a lot of lenticular clouds on the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California, even though the area on the east side of the mountains is desert.  Here's an example.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 19:42:30 »
Both are lovely. I also prefer the 2nd one.  I think it's the dark clouds wrapping around the edges of the frame that act as a framing device.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 20:58:23 »
I love both pics. Amazing effect !
Francis Devrainne

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 23:59:04 »
Thanks, all for your kind responses - rosko, Keith, Bill and Fons.

Very nice shots!
Lenticular clouds happen when a layer of moister air is forced to rise a bit . . .
Bill - a special thanks for your expertise - very interesting.

Fons - it looks like I corrected some of the cyan in the lower part of the sky in one of the images, but neglected to do the other one. Well spotted.