Author Topic: Xqd cards and ipad  (Read 27566 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Xqd cards and ipad
« on: June 25, 2019, 17:22:34 »
My apologies if this question has been addressed already but what is the best solution for importing photos on XQD card into an iPad?
Thanks for your help!
Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Xqd cards and ipad
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 18:50:31 »
I do import photo via cable from an XQD card reader
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 19:02:33 »
I do import photo via cable from an XQD card reader

Importing to computer works that way but importing to an iPad?
Peter

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 19:18:52 »
An option that works with my Z7 and the iPad Pro with USB-C connector is to connect both with the (Apple suppled supplied iPad Pro) USB-C charging cable; e.g. use the camera itself as an XQD reader.

(Regrettably connecting an iPad with Lightning connector to the Z7 by means of an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable does not work).

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 20:54:53 »
An option that works with my Z7 and the iPad Pro with USB-C connector is to connect both with the (Apple suppled supplied iPad Pro) USB-C charging cable; e.g. use the camera itself as an XQD reader.

(Regrettably connecting an iPad with Lightning connector to the Z7 by means of an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable does not work).

Thank you. Call me stupid but could you share a photo? I may miss some hardware. I do have the Z6 USB cable and the lighting2usb charging cable for the iPad but I don’t have anything that cis ab
E to connect those 2.

However, I found that it is possible to establish a WiFi link between iPad and camera. Transferring one photo was easy. I don’t know about a transfer of 200 photos.
Peter

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 21:41:12 »
From what I know you need a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (€39). Connect the XQD-cardreader to the USB3 port, a power cable to the USB-C port and the Lightning cable to the iPad. You can find instructions on YouTube.
I’m interested in this as well, but did not have/found the time to try it.
Chris Dees

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 21:41:28 »
I'm sorry I cannot provide any useful answer to solve your problem "right now", but I bought the latest third generation iPad Air a few days ago with the premise of the release of iPadOS13 this autumn, which will make the handling of the files as easy as on normal computers, PC or Mac.

On iPadOS13, you (we) should be able to connect a USB card reader via either the Lightning-USB Camera Adapter or a USB-C cable and import or export image files.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 21:46:50 »
Thank you. Call me stupid but could you share a photo? I may miss some hardware. I do have the Z6 USB cable and the lighting2usb charging cable for the iPad but I don’t have anything that cis ab
E to connect those 2.

However, I found that it is possible to establish a WiFi link between iPad and camera. Transferring one photo was easy. I don’t know about a transfer of 200 photos.

I think I got it: connect camera usb to the lightning-usb camera adapter.

Chris, Akira: thank you. I am curious what ios13 will bring!
Peter

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 21:53:52 »

Indeed, that is what works with an iPad with Lightning connector. (The last (third) generation of iPad Pro's have USB-C connectors, for those an USB-C to USB-C cable is enough).

As Akira mentions, with the forthcoming iPadOS update (later this year) importing pictures in an app like Lightroom will be much more convenient, no need to go through the camera roll anymore.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 22:08:24 »

Chris, Akira: thank you. I am curious what ios13 will bring!

There will be no iOS 13 for the iPad, there will be iPadOS.
Carl

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 15:26:45 »
I found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QpR8AF7jiM
It is in German, but the video is almost self-explanatory. The presenter shows the various possibilities.

To summarize, there are 3 options:
1. Use the Apple Lightning to USB-C camera adapter (with power supply), connect a XQD-reader with the card and add a power supply.
2. Use the Apple Lightning to USB-C camera adapter and connect the camera to this adapter with a USB-cable. Switch on the camera first before connecting. This apparently works slowly
3. Use the standard Apple Lightning to USB-C adapter snd connect the camera to this adapter with a USB-cable. Switch on the camera first before connecting. This apparently works very fast

Tomorrow I will buy the L2USBc adapter to

Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 16:11:36 »
Importing to computer works that way but importing to an iPad?

it works as a USB drive on my Android phones... I hate Apple anyway, so if Apple blocks external USB my opinion will sure not change ...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 19:38:53 »
I think I found the solution that works best for me. I bought a lightning to USB camera Adapter (without power supply) and connect that to the USB-C cable supplied by Nikon with the camera. It is important to switch the camera on before connecting to the cable to the iPad. After connecting the photos show quickly in the Photos app. Importing works much faster than the other solution I tried: connect via WiFi and the Nikon App.
Peter

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 18:39:37 »
One way which works very well is through CamRanger: camera and iPad then interact directly over WiFi so no connecting cables are needed.

I understand that iOS 13 allows the use of external HDs with an iPad but I haven't explored that.
Storage will become quite important if you want to shoot RAW and edit on an iPad.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 20:34:43 »
One way which works very well is through CamRanger: camera and iPad then interact directly over WiFi so no connecting cables are needed.

I understand that iOS 13 allows the use of external HDs with an iPad but I haven't explored that.
Storage will become quite important if you want to shoot RAW and edit on an iPad.

I do not know about camranger but it is possible to connect iPad and Z6/7 via WiFi but it is incredibly slow
Peter