Gear Talk > Other

Measuring reflected light using an incident light meter

(1/4) > >>

Zang:
Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone know a trick to measure reflected light just like cameras do, using an incident light meter?

Cheers,
Zang

Akira:
An obvious answer should be, yes, a dedicated light meter.  Spot meters or light meters with the adapters the enable them to meter reflected light.

Nowadays, I guess there are smartphone apps to meter utilizing the integrated camera.  I'm not sure of their accuracy, though.

Zang:
I do have a light meter but it has incident metering only. I wonder If and how I can make an adapter to make it meter the reflected light :)

Cheers,
Zang

Ann:
Adapters for measuring reflected light for some meters are available — including some Sekonic ones.
(B&H, among others, sell them.)

The reason most people use a meter is for taking Incident Light readings which are particularly helpful when balancing several light sources; or for gauging the correct exposure for difficult subjects like the proverbial white-dog-in-the-snow or black-cat-in -a-coal-cellar.

Birna Rørslett:
If one is going to the trouble of using a separate light meter, measuring *incident* light is vastly more useful and informative than what is reflected. If the latter is deemed necessary, using a spot meter probably is the better approach.

In all situations whether incident or reflected light is measured, an evaluation of what the reading entails in terms of exposure is mandatory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version