Author Topic: Interesting options for macro work  (Read 2451 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Interesting options for macro work
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2022, 10:04:24 »
If I slide in the lens in the mount almost as much as possible I get this result.
It then covers 22mm and magnification is 24/22 = x1.1.
This should be close to what the lens was designed for.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2022, 11:00:08 »
Here is my setup with the Nikon LS4000ED scanner lens. I have fine-tuned the magnification to be precisely 1.33X, which according to Robert O'Toole should be the designated ratio for this lens. The lens is held in a bespoke RAF clamp, which mounts via a 42-52mm step ring into a set of 2X K-5 rings and a K-2 at the rear. I also added a CPU to make EXIF data reliable. The lens reports itself as 46mm f/2.6. The cameras will round off to f/2.5 as they cannot show 1/6 stops, however EXIF is corrrect. In front there is an improvised lens shade from a reversed C/CS extension ring, which fits perfectly on the front of the scanner lens.

I intend to use this for macro photography with my Z cameras primarily. Has to wait until I've got rid of this Covid-19 misery, though. Now I'm grounded for better or worse.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2022, 14:49:54 »
A quick demonstration that the scanner lens approach works ... A detail of an Alstroemeria Peruvian Lily at 1.33X. My hand-holding technique suffers badly from the current Covid-induced misery, so sharpness is suboptimal. Also, I'm grounded in Ruth's apartment since we both are in quarantine and thus I cannot get to my Stackshot gear.

Scanner lens 46mm f/2.6, Nikon Z fc

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2022, 18:43:23 »
It shows you get much value for the money. It seems current market price for the 7 element 4000 ED scanner lens is around 100 Euros.

The 5400 Minolta lens seems to perform good at x2 but reading further it seems x1.2 is also fine.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/minolta-dimage-scan-elite-5400-lens

For x2 I need more extension but for x1.1 to x1.3 my setup on DX-sensor is perfect using the conical RAF adapter.

The adapter you use with the set-screw for holding the Nikkor Scanner lens.......you don't see any "false light" coming in between lens and adapter if you hold it up against a light source?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2022, 19:11:32 »
I paid much less for the scanner lens :) The RAF clamp may leak a little light, but a daub of black paint makes the leak disappear.

Magnification depends of course on the orientation of the lens. I can get < 1X by flipping the lens, but see no purpose as I have lots of other options going to 1X with good quality. On the other hand, high-quality 1.33X is perfect for many of my applications. From 1.7X and higher there are again other lens candidates available to me.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2022, 20:58:54 »
I don't know the optical design of the Minolta lens if it is symmetrical or there is a big difference regarding orientation. Will try to reverse it some day......
A silicon wafer seems a good test target. Could be fun to get one for that purpose.

At Ebay it is difficult to get really good bargains when a product starts to get some "hype"......but before that happens it is possible.
When most people sell some stuff they make a search at ebay to check price level.
To get a defect scanner at the local market may be the best option to get a very cheap scanner lens.

It seems Covid here is fading out and the real flu slowly takes over.....

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 11:56:23 »
 Thanks for the update. This continues to be an intriguing area

My hand-holding technique suffers badly from the current Covid-induced misery...

Best wishes on your recovery Birna.
I tested positive for Covid last October and felt low for a week or so, but nothing too bad.
I think the vaccines helped my body fight it.

Meanwhile my son (who passed it to me) ran his fastest ever 5k on the day he tested positive - some people have all the luck!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 12:55:36 »
I'm still testing positive and the illness manifests itself in everything, including ability to take photographs or even think straight. Ruth is 3 days ahead of me and after nearly 2 weeks she isn't yet in the clear.

A silicone wafer is an excellent test subject, but do note there are aspects of 'macro' work it won't help with. You need to resort to stacking for example to find whether bad corners are due to the lens having insufficient coverage or there is excessive curvature of field. Also, unless you go well beyond 4X or so, many details are too small to be adequately resolved even by the best of lenses. The wafer will help in showing signs of setup instability or camera shutter-induced movement, though. Chromatic aberrations should be obvious, but do note the light source can add aberrations on its own as the structures on the wafer can act as micro prisms. So a narrowband source is preferable if it can be had.

Do remember to keep the silcone wafer stored with cardboard or similar to stiffen it and wrap it into plastic to keep dust away plus avoid scratching its surface, which is pretty delicate. I bought a wafer many years ago and it cost me next to nothing back then. No idea what the situation currently is.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 10:52:33 »
Praying for your and her speedy full recovery Birna!!
formerly known as kds315