Author Topic: Catania, Sicily  (Read 8350 times)

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Catania, Sicily
« on: June 04, 2019, 13:46:14 »
My wife and I spent a couple days in this old and somewhat battered city - battered by earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, heavy bombing in WWII and economic vicissitudes. We stayed at a B&B in a restored palazzo in the old centre which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The old centre is a lively and and fascinating mix of restored and crumbling Baroque buildings, with lots of cool little bars.

1. Early morning jet lagged view from our balcony
2. The morning street markets next to the hotel
3. At the nearby morning fish market
4. Umbrella in the street
5. A quiet corner to park the bike
6. Art among some ruins.

Mike Selby - Sydney

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Catania, Sicily
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 14:12:54 »
Nice give a good impression of the city.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 16:22:35 »
I have never been there, but I trust you
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 16:35:11 »
You stay in a perfect spot! It must be very nice to stroll around, take photos and have a cup of espresso.
My favorites are #2 and #3.
Thanks for sharing and enjoy your vacation!
Peter

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 21:04:56 »
"mi persi nel buio e di buio mi ubriacai, lontana dal sole, lontana dalla vita" (approx. I got lost in the dark and intoxicated myself with darkness, far from the sun, far from life)
not by any known author, as per Google, but that piece of street art is documented on Instagram.
Interesting picture - the "ruins" seem to be recycled buildings though, with recent window frames.
My favorite is the freestyling umbrella...
Airy Magnien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 21:21:24 »
"mi persi nel buio e di buio mi ubriacai, lontana dal sole, lontana dalla vita" (approx. I got lost in the dark and intoxicated myself with darkness, far from the sun, far from life)
not by any known author, as per Google, but that piece of street art is documented on Instagram.
Interesting picture - the "ruins" seem to be recycled buildings though, with recent window frames.

Wonderful text

How can you not love the mediterranean countries

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 21:48:43 »
Thanks for these Mike(s)
As I look out of my window, it's grey, cold and raining. These photos helped take me to a place I would rather be!

> 2. The morning street markets next to the hotel

I always love seeing markets in other countries

I quite agree Fons

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 14:47:13 »
Nice give a good impression of the city.

I have never been there, but I trust you

You stay in a perfect spot! It must be very nice to stroll around, take photos and have a cup of espresso.
My favorites are #2 and #3.
Thanks for sharing and enjoy your vacation!

Thanks Bent, Frank and Peter. It was worth spending a few days in the old centre - it is a great place to wander around and soak up the atmosphere (and the coffee). Less so outside in the newer parts of Catania.

Quote from: Fons Baerken link=topic=8592.msg141908#msg141908 date=1559676084
[/quote

Agreed. They have a unique charm - and the food (and wine) is always worth the visit.

Thanks for these Mike(s)
As I look out of my window, it's grey, cold and raining. These photos helped take me to a place I would rather be!

> 2. The morning street markets next to the hotel

I always love seeing markets in other countries

I quite agree Fons.

Thanks, Colin. I love the markets, too. Seems to be where the best produce is to be found, especially in Sicily. Everyone shops there for fresh food, not at the supermarkets. We bought our supplies of almonds, dates, dried figs, olives, salami and cheese for lunch there each day.

Thanks, Airy. Nice sleuthing work - the district of San Berillo is documented on Instagram. It is quite a fascinating place and great to see what can be done to utilise derelict spaces at little cost.

The author, however, does not appear to be a resident of San Berillo, as it is generously endowed with sunshine and life. And the little bar there served some delicious Mt Etna white wines.

Mike Selby - Sydney

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 18:22:49 »
I like the Sicilian cities (I know Palermo better than Catania) and your images convey the atmosphere.
I never get tired of visiting that part of the world.
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 01:43:30 »
Apparently, there are lots of things to look around out there.  Thank you, Mike, for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 07:27:52 »
This last image really sort of sums up my years in Sicily.   I spent quite a bit of time in the Catania/Taormina area between early 70's -mid 90's.  When I asked my local friends where they got the money for restoration/redevelopment projects the answer was always the same "Rome will provide" followed by a wink  :)
Many thanks for posting
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 11:14:18 »
I like the Sicilian cities (I know Palermo better than Catania) and your images convey the atmosphere.
I never get tired of visiting that part of the world.

Thanks, Simone. Agreed, this was our second visit, and I'm sure we will get back there again. We skipped Palermo this time.

Apparently, there are lots of things to look around out there.  Thank you, Mike, for sharing!

Thanks for commenting, Akira. There is plenty to see (and photograph).

Mike Selby - Sydney

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 11:56:24 »
This last image really sort of sums up my years in Sicily.   I spent quite a bit of time in the Catania/Taormina area between early 70's -mid 90's.  When I asked my local friends where they got the money for restoration/redevelopment projects the answer was always the same "Rome will provide" followed by a wink  :)
Many thanks for posting

I can imagine that Sicily was quite a different place then, at least in the 70s. I guess that you had to know the "right" people to get things done then  8)  We drove through Corleone and stopped for a coffee at the Caffè Ruggirello, supposedly once a Mafia meeting place, that features stills from the movie The Godfather. Ironically the news on television featured a shotgun murder nearby in great detail.

Seems peaceful now, and the coffee and cannoli were great. Thanks for your comments, Tom.
Mike Selby - Sydney

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 14:22:58 »
I can imagine that Sicily was quite a different place then, at least in the 70s. I guess that you had to know the "right" people to get things done then  8)  We drove through Corleone and stopped for a coffee at the Caffè Ruggirello, supposedly once a Mafia meeting place, that features stills from the movie The Godfather. Ironically the news on television featured a shotgun murder nearby in great detail.

Seems peaceful now, and the coffee and cannoli were great. Thanks for your comments, Tom.

What seems astonishing is that they wear goose down mountain jackets in a place where I woul feel hot in bermudas and a T-shirt!

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.