Author Topic: New-Nikkor 35/2.8 article!!!  (Read 6838 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
New-Nikkor 35/2.8 article!!!
« on: June 02, 2019, 14:58:53 »
https://richardhaw.com/2019/06/02/repair-new-nikkor-35mm-f-2-8-early-ai/

been really busy lately so I only wrote one this week  :o :o :o

it used to be easy doing overtimes but that was 10 years ago (im not even joking)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: New-Nikkor 35/2.8 article!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 16:53:58 »
A wonderful article as usual. Thank you Rick!

The first steps are very similar to the ones for Nikkor 24mm that was the only one I worked with. You are tempting me again... LOL. After 24mm, I promised myself not to touch any lenses until I get better screw drivers. I stripped two of the screws and I found the bayonet ones were the toughest to work with.

Cheers,
Zang

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 20:46:03 »
I've got 2 copies of this lens, both of which I bumbled through disassembling/reassembling years ago.  While the lack of distortion and general image character is pleasant, both my copies are always blurry at the far, far sides of the 24x36 frame...the last 2mm or so, regardless of aperture or focused distance.  I like the old style, longer focusing scale a lot---makes zone focusing fast and easy. Interesting to learn that the later 35/2.8 (5-element) is less blurry at full aperture despite the added distortion.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 00:03:39 »

You are looking at 2 different lenses here, the left one is New-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 with an Ai-ring and the other one is the early Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 Ai with a non-Ai ring. I swapped the rings and it seems that they’re identical. I don’t know why they share the same barrel design but the only reason I can see here is Nikon’s trying to save money.

Most AI lenses share the same barrel design as the New Nikkor version, because essentially they are the same lens, so it is natural the aperture rings could be swapped. The AI version just has the new AI aperture ring, new style of rubber grip, and the rear lens protector has the maximum aperture post added (later used by FA for matrix metering).

The confusing thing is that there are two versions of the AI 35/2.8. The first is based on the New Nikkor, with 6/6 elements. This one has small front and rear elements which is probably why vignetting is on the high side. DOF lines are on the barrel under the focus ring and the focus throw is reasonably long. In my experience this one is sharp and has almost no barrel distortion - the least distortion of any 35mm I have tried.

After a couple of years production the AI version was replaced by an all-new design with 5/5 elements. This was probably cheaper to build, with fewer elements and no thick pieces of glass like the old version. The barrel is slightly longer but still a compact lens. The front and rear elements are larger so vignetting is reduced. It has some barrel distortion but it is mild and even. Sharpness is good, maybe not quite as good as the previous version, but my feeling is the rendering is a little rounder - background bokeh is smoother. This one has DOF marks level with the focus ring and a very short focus throw.

The AI-S version is based on the 5/5 AI lens. The focus throw is longer than the AI version but still much shorter than the older 6/6 version. Overall this is the best of the 5/5 versions due to the longer focal throw, and I think the styling is more attractive.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 00:09:54 »
Roland, other than the focus throw, is AI-s a better performer than the 6/6 AI?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 01:00:55 »
The focus throw of the AI-S 35/2.8 is 120°, compared to 195° for the 6/6 version. If you like slow, precise focusing the 6/6 is better, but I never found the AI-S to be any trouble.

The 6/6 has almost zero barrel distortion, the 5/5 has moderate distortion which is easily corrected.

The 6/6 has neutral bokeh, I think the 5/5 is a bit smoother in the background.

The 6/6 is generally better regarded but I think the 5/5 is under-rated - it's certainly better than the series-E 35/2.5 (with a similar 5/5 design), and the E lens has a decent reputation.

I have both but never compared they side by side, maybe I will run some tests this weekend. Given they are so cheap it doesn't hurt to try either.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 03:49:34 »
i find the 5/5 to be much sharper, with better bokeh  :o :o :o

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 08:57:44 »
i find the 5/5 to be much sharper, with better bokeh  :o :o :o
Are you sure?  I have both, but usually take  the 6/6 as it is better on all accounts, especially less Distortion and nicer bokeh  (but that can be subjective)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 15:52:28 »
Are you sure?  I have both, but usually take  the 6/6 as it is better on all accounts, especially less Distortion and nicer bokeh  (but that can be subjective)

yes, at least on my samples  :o :o :o

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 16:57:40 »
I notice there are quite different opinions regarding a number of Nikon lenses. That may mean the lenses have quality variation. I hate that problem as getting a good sample is like playing lottery.