Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Tethering freeware for Nikon D800

(1/2) > >>

Zang:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good software for tethering with D800 from an Windows PC or an Android phone?

Thanks,
Zang

Steven Paulsen:
Keep in mind that I'm somewhat frugal & hate smart phones.

I bought a 1st gen "CamRanger," at a thrift store, (didn't know what it was, but the instructions said Nikon D800.) It's a small, half the thickness of a pack of smokes & looks like it's made of the white plastic of the old apple, MacBook. USB3 cable from D800, into the white box. Setup was quite easy.

It works wonderful on a Droid and my ancient iphone

Ann:
I also have that first-model CamRanger which I bought the moment that it was originally announced.

It's an extremely useful little gadget for all sorts of purposes — including using it as a cable-free "Tether" when shooting for a client who wants to see results during the actual shoot.

This is my walk-about camera-controller:

It lets me set all camera settings remotely from an iPad, fire the shutter and instantly review the result on the iPad; and sync the walk-about flash with any others which are synced to the camera.

You will most probably want to set the camera for RAW +JPG shooting.
My cameras have twin cards so I shoot RAW to one card; and JPG (to be used for the instant Preview on the iPad but later to be trashed) on my second card.

CR will also work from smart phones but I find their screens are too small to be useful for this purpose.

armando_m:
I have used digicamcontrol
a freeware program , the laptop connects via a usb cable to the camera

Zang:

--- Quote from: Steven P. on June 12, 2019, 21:54:50 ---Keep in mind that I'm somewhat frugal & hate smart phones.

I bought a 1st gen "CamRanger," at a thrift store, (didn't know what it was, but the instructions said Nikon D800.) It's a small, half the thickness of a pack of smokes & looks like it's made of the white plastic of the old apple, MacBook. USB3 cable from D800, into the white box. Setup was quite easy.

It works wonderful on a Droid and my ancient iphone

--- End quote ---

CamRanger looks pretty interesting. My quick search showed it is quite expensive!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version