Author Topic: Another of Mankind's mysteries  (Read 1696 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Another of Mankind's mysteries
« on: May 23, 2019, 16:06:37 »
Taken a couple of years ago here in downtown Toronto. I was walking along Spadina Avenue in the heart of the original Chinatown when I spotted a young man with very interesting facial markings sitting against a window ledge, and intently working on his Laptop.
I liked the scene, and not wishing to disturb him, shot from the hip as I walked by.
motorized Nikon FG
Nikkor 24 f2 AIS
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
5.6 @ 1/125th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
Re: Another of Mankind's mysteries
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 16:24:11 »
1)  Great job on the "hip shot".
2)  That is some interesting face paint.
3)  Well spotted and thanks for sharing.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 17:46:42 »
Andrew,
Thanks for the kind comments
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 23:50:44 »
Taken a couple of years ago here in downtown Toronto. I was walking along Spadina Avenue in the heart of the original Chinatown when I spotted a young man with very interesting facial markings sitting against a window ledge, and intently working on his Laptop.
I liked the scene, and not wishing to disturb him, shot from the hip as I walked by.
motorized Nikon FG
Nikkor 24 f2 AIS
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
5.6 @ 1/125th

Good catch! As for the subject, I'm always amazed that people will serve as walking billboards for stupidity. Now that's good for us as photographers, but what is his excuse?  :-\
Carl

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 00:53:34 »
Carl,
Thanks for the comments.
Always amazes me that so many people can't see that the brilliant idea they conceived at 19 while drunk probably won't seem quite as clever when they're sober at 25 or 30.
Robert

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 13:31:20 »
Very well spotted indeed! I like the repetition of colors, the reflections and how the lines support the scene.
I am curious what his story is...
Peter

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 21:58:09 »
Your findings are always interesting. Humanity in the center stage.
  Here I like specifically the play with color, shapes and the actions in real and reflections. The lotto is a great touch to round up the almost surreality.
   Great job shooting from the hip indeed.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 16:27:12 »
Peter/ Golunvolo,
Thanks for the comments.
No idea about his story. I saw the scene and not wishing to disturb the composition, set the shutter speed, aperture, and hyperfocus and shot as I walked by.
The figure reflected in the Lotto sign is me, and I stand corrected: I was shooting from the waist (as you can clearly see), not the hip.
Robert