Author Topic: Questions on Eyedropper Tool in Lightroom  (Read 16877 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Questions on Eyedropper Tool in Lightroom
« on: July 29, 2019, 14:46:15 »
In using the eyedropper tool in Lightroom to set white balance, is the objective to find an area in the photograph which shows approximately 18% for red, green and blue and to use that to set white balance? If not, how is it used? I've watched a couple of YouTube videos which were not helpful, so thought I'd ask here.
Also, should one use the dropper before or after correcting exposure?

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Questions on Eyedropper Tool in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 15:21:22 »
I use it quite often, in Lightroom, or the Ps AdobeRAW converter.  I normally have the WB set to auto on all my normal spectrum cameras and usually save NEF files.

My method, if I don't like the white balance rendering out of the camera is to look for a neutral grey, probably in shade and click it.  If that doesn't work I try alternatives until I get the look I want.  In the absence of an obliging shade of grey I will adjust the sliders.

Remember you can always return to "as shot" if you end up in a mess, which is another reason for getting the WB right, at the beginning of the process..
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 18:00:32 »
So, as a workflow, perhaps adjust exposure first, then look for a spot which is as close to 18% in red green and blue, being flexible if there is no area which is super close to the ideal numbers? Or, does it even matter if the percentages are different from 18%, just so long as they are close to one another?

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 18:49:15 »
It is actually the other way around:
You choose an area within the image which YOU want to be Neutral (R=G=B but never mind at what Level) and click the eye-dropper on that area.

This won't work on areas near to white (much above about 245;245;245) and sometimes nearly Black can be a useful target.

So set your Process Version, Camera Profile and your WB before making any other adjustments.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 10:23:22 »
Ann and Seapy- Thanks for the explanations . I’ve tried it on a couple of recent photos and it works much better than using one of the presets, which was my previous method.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 11:56:05 »
Glad I could help Arthur.  I don't see processing as an exact science, if it looks right, it is right.

As a builder, over the years one has one's work appraised by one's peers, occasionally I have noticed a colleague eying up something I had constructed, perhaps an alteration to an old building.  "That's not plumb!" he might say...  In fact it was plumb, but due to the nature of the building, it looked wrong.  Sometimes it's more important that it looks right than being technically correct.  We usually agree if it looks right, it is right.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 13:37:52 »
I use it exactly as Ann ;)
Erik Lund