Author Topic: FW 2.0 for Z6 and Z7  (Read 21214 times)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: FW 2.0 for Z6 and Z7
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 19:27:37 »
That is what I was hoping for and will reconfirm with my Nikon Z6 tonight or tomorrow.
Is anything done? Please share! THX in advance.  LZ

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 20:49:53 »
I´ve use the new firmware and eye AF in people, far and close. Using 3 f1.4 primes fully open and the 70-200e, also fully open. It worked very well. Af in low light worked better too. I have put some samples in the Z´s thread:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,8075.855.html

benasaj

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Al Benas Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 01:41:05 »
The service advisory allows you to check your serial number to see if it is in the affected units. Fortunately, my z7, bought within the last 2 months, was OK.

Installed FW 2.0. May not solve everyone's hopes and desires, but I'm stoked. It's a good start and there are needed and welcome improvements.
Al Benas

chambeshi

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 11:19:28 »
Checked mine with big relief it's not an offending camera !

My Z7 arrived early October. Its SN# is under 7800250, so presumably one of the first out of the Sendai factory. If recent and early releases are fine, this suggests a dodgy batch went wild

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 12:38:05 »
My Z7 is not affected.  Its serial number is 74020XX.

(BTW, does anyone know how to decode these serial numbers as to their date of manufacture or region that they are destined for?)
Hugh Gunn

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 17:28:03 »
My Z7 is not affected.  Its serial number is 74020XX.

(BTW, does anyone know how to decode these serial numbers as to their date of manufacture or region that they are destined for?)
As far as I remember, all of my Nikons here, in the USA, begun from 3. My Z7 is 30105...   LZ

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 22:35:46 »
BTW, does anyone know how to decode these serial numbers as to their date of manufacture or region that they are destined for?
I collected some serial numbers and the regions they come from here:
http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html#Z

So far I have not received a lot of info so what I have published is rather limited. It's not possible to pinpoint the date of manufacture from the serial number. The start date of manufacture (which I take to be the date the camera is announced) along with the purchase date of new cameras can give me a rough estimate though.
If anyone wants to contribute to my list, PM me or use the email address on the site. If you can include the purchase date and region (or region code above the barcode on the box), that would be very useful.

chambeshi

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:17 »
I collected some serial numbers and the regions they come from here:
http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html#Z

So far I have not received a lot of info so what I have published is rather limited. It's not possible to pinpoint the date of manufacture from the serial number. The start date of manufacture (which I take to be the date the camera is announced) along with the purchase date of new cameras can give me a rough estimate though.
If anyone wants to contribute to my list, PM me or use the email address on the site. If you can include the purchase date and region (or region code above the barcode on the box), that would be very useful.

Hi Roland
Earlier, I just emailed you the SN of my Z7 #780024* and 24-70 f4S 2001114*, made in Thailand. On arrival in Cape Town, early October, I understood from the local distributor (the biggest in subSaharan Africa) that my Z7 was the first unit landed in S Africa (kit with FTZ): ordered soon after the Z System launch in Tokyo.

Your database is unique but its coverage hinges on data. It seems some of the lenses are quite far behind what's out there eg 500 f4E

kind regards

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 01:02:37 »
Thanks, I have a few other emails with new serials to add to my database, I'll try to process them this evening.

For many years when building my database I used to scan ebay regularly as it has many pictures of lenses with serial numbers, it was my main source of data. I receive maybe a handful of emails per week with new information but this is still very useful as it often includes the purchase date (lacking from most ebay listings) which gives rough guide on the age of each lens.

The old manual focus lenses are well covered. In many cases the earliest recorded serial number is within a few hundreds or tens of the known start number. Statistically the last recorded serial number should be similarly close to the actual last lens produced, so my data should be fairly complete.

The serial numbers for discontinued AF lenses are less complete or accurate. First, because the serial numbers on early AF lenses are very small and don't easily show up on ebay pictures so it was hard to get new data (in the last few years many Japanese sellers include high quality photos so I have been able to obtain more information). Second, because the AF lenses did not interest me much so I spent less time researching them :o

Serial numbers for lenses in current production are more difficult. For these I rely on people to email me new information, it is rare to see serial numbers for new (or near-new) lenses on auction sites. If someone emails me with the serial number of their shiny new lens then that model is, for the moment, up to date on my database. I tend to receive information from enthusiasts and professionals, so my information is skewed towards the high-end gear. Generally I receive more info about newly introduced models so my earliest recorded serial can be quite low, but interest tails off after some months or years so the highest serial can be quite out of date. There a some lenses where I didn't receive new info for a year or more.

It's even worse for the kit lenses. Even thought they are made in huge numbers, I almost never receive new serial numbers for them, the people who buy them don't visit my site. Even when I get a new serial number for an AF-S 18-55 kit zoom, they are produced so fast that my data quickly goes out of date. I don't have much interest in trawling through ebay auctions to keep these current...

And I admit, after maintaining my site for 25 years or so, my energy to keep it up to date is not what it was. I add new items as they are introduced for the sake of completeness and respond to emails when I receive them, but I rarely have the time to actively look for new serials. Maybe time to pass it on to someone else?

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 05:26:28 »
Hi Roland,
I think finding someone to take over your site may be tough. I do not know but maybe a group of folk helping with individual sections with you coordinating. You do a fantastic job and , heck, I have lost interest/energy to even maintain my Smugmug site  :( .  Worse, I sometimes lack the energy and motivation to get out and shoot  >:(
Sorry I've not been very forthcoming on support in recent times.  I pass your Link along to the younger generation of Photographers  who are lost when it comes to Nikon lenses, particularly the older ones.

Keep up the great work as long as it is personally rewarding.
All the best,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 07:06:49 »
Roland, just want to say your site has been useful to me in tracking down a few lenses (400mm f/5.6 P.C auto, 55mm compensating, 85mm 1.8 K, 105 f/2.5 sonnar type) which I’m quite happy to have found. I can understand the burn-out. I ran a blog for a decade, but at some point it just becomes a bit of a chore, or maybe I just said all I had to say!

Please accept my thanks for building your list and keeping it available!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 07:17:21 »
Hi Roland,

Having maybe 30 old Nikkors on my shelves, and one on my camera right now (guess what? a Noct), I can only say thank you.

I am amazed to see how much "work" is done for free by passionate people: most Wikipedia contributions, and especially the good ones, also fall into that category.

I'd see at least three possibilities to expand your work (assuming that finding another person as dedicated and competent as you are will be difficult):

- a take-over by Nikon. Not very likely to happen, but who knows.
- Or maybe they should offer you a job, telecommuting-style, with two paid stays in Tokyo every year :) (wet dream)
- a move to Wikipedia.
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 11:47:45 »
Woody: the last 500 f4E recorded on my site (no.201656) was bought new in 2016, so that is well out of date!

Tom: no need to be sorry about lack of recent support, over the years you have contributed far more than most. If everyone who used my site had contributed what you have, I could have left my day-job years ago :o :)

Jack: thanks for your comments - the 400 P.C is a cool lens 8)

Airy: thanks also. Yes it would be nice if my site had some official backing, just imagine if each lens had a page with details of the optics, specs, design background - something like the 1001 nights pages crossed with the product pages for current lenses. For older lenses, I think Nikon records are not always 100% accurate so maybe staying independent is better :o. A paid flight to Japan would be nice, would love to visit the Museum :). The closest I had to official communication was from Nikon France who were setting up a system for photographers to register their serial numbers. They were curious to know where I got my information from. Wikipedia (or should that be Nikkorpedia?) could be an option if I decide to "park" my site, but I doubt it would be updated or kept as accurate. I guess I will keep going until a clear alternative arises.

Maybe time to get back to the topic of this thread...

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 14:21:23 »
Agreed - I didn't mean to side track the Z6 and Z7 Firmware Experiences discussion with a Serial Numbers discussion, but my Z7 Serial Number started with a 7 wheeras the D850's sold here in Australia start with an 8.

Maybe we need a new topic for the serial number discussion?

Maybe time to get back to the topic of this thread...

Hugh Gunn

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 17:07:13 »
So what I am waiting for the next update: IBIS and lens's VR (if any) should merge and work simultaneously, as some other manufacturers already do, but stop any of them if the speed reaches 1/1000 and faster, in auto, if you wish so. Shutter MUST close the sensor when you switching the lens, in auto, again. Battery grip, of 5-6 AA batteries, to save size and weight, because last update is draining its own battery even faster. To prevent such the draining, turning camera off MUST stop camera-battery connections at all, with your auto choice, of course. Time of wake-up is too long, about 1.5-2sec. Terribly outdated, should be 0.4-0.6sec, not more.  That is what I wish now, we will see next.  THX! LZ