Author Topic: Protection for working in rainy conditions  (Read 3232 times)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Protection for working in rainy conditions
« on: May 13, 2019, 17:10:07 »
Have you visited the rainforest, or places where sudden downpours of rain can suddenly arrive?
Please comment on you dealt with this, whilst still allowing the chance to continue taking photos?

If you've used any protective gear that worked well for you, please share details:
  • For your camera whilst out of its bag
  • For yourself, esp if its warm with occasional downpours - e.g. breathable waterproofs

I'll be using a D500 and probably wouldn't attempt to change lenses whilst out in the rain!!
Any other tips for care of gear in these conditions would be appreciated

Luke Miller

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Luke Miller - Photographer
Re: Protection for working in rainy conditions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 21:11:47 »
Shooting in the rain is not something I do on a regular basis, but sometimes it can't be avoided.  I wear a light rainproof jacket and carry the camera inside it.  I also wear a wide brimmed hat which acts as an umbrella for the camera while shooting.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 21:59:53 »
I have owned a KATA waterproof enveloping cover for my camera for more than 10 years but have only deployed it on about two occasions when a thunderstorm broke over-head and I also happened to have the KATA with me.

More useful has always been having one of those thin foldable ponchos in the back pocket of my photographer's jacket in conjunction with using Nikon single-digit cameras which are pretty well weatherproofed in their own right.

When this tornadic storm burst on us just moments after I had taken this shot from a small open boat out in the middle of a broad Bornean river, a poncho saved the camera although we had to grab all camera bags off the deeply flooded floor of the boat. A quick-thinking friend popped a spare garbage bag over my head which also helped.

But for light rain, I don't use any protection and just carry on shooting and the cameras seem to come through unscathed.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 23:21:26 »
I've never been in a rainforest but Belgian weather is not always kind. As Ann, I always have a light foldable poncho in the bag (it is smaller than a smartphone, the cheap Optech rainsleeve (3$ a piece, I think) and I'm using a (relatively) rain proof bag with a foldable protection.

That said, with only a few exceptions, the poncho has always been sufficient.
Bruno Schröder

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:00:55 »
Not swapping lenses is indeed wise.

By all weathers, I often wear a light cotton scarf that I also use to protect the lens mount & nearby areas from trickling water, and to wipe the camera every now and then.

In bad cases I'd rather use lenses with gaskets.
Airy Magnien

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 17:14:06 »
Fifteen years ago, for my 65th birthday, my wife took me over to the wild west coast, to Tofino, BC. and I chose my little Bessa/Summicron. Incredibly rainstorm weather ensued for the whole week end. The camera spent most of its time inside my rain jacket, lens collapsed, and still got rather damp. Sat on a towel over a heat register in the motel, it dried out and it later worked flawlessly on a trip to the Grand Canyon. I am glad it wasn't my Df, but that didn't come along until about ten years later, so I didn't have to worry. Hopefully, I will celebrate my 80th this fall, but it will be somewhere well south of home in the North West, in Df kindly weather. My cowardly advice: Take a cheap P&S if you choose to join King Lear in the "pelting storm."

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 19:59:42 »
Thanks all
Food for thought

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:36 »
I'd have more worries about swapping lenses in dusty environments (dirt road, sandy beach, desert, ...) especially in the presence of wind.

Most Nikon pro and semipro bodies and lenses have weather gaskets. And then there's all-weather AIO bodies... Always have one in a side pocket, just in case the weather gets really bad.

Anyhow, my attitude towards gear is that it should be used regardless of rain, wind, dust or fire.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:45:20 »
I’m using the rain cover from ThinkTank.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/camera-rain-covers/products/hydrophobia-d-70-200-v3-0-rain-cover

Works perfect for rain or dust.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 00:03:34 »
I’m using the rain cover from ThinkTank.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/camera-rain-covers/products/hydrophobia-d-70-200-v3-0-rain-cover

Works perfect for rain or dust.

Thanks MFloyd, useful to have some specific links.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 00:18:59 »
But for light rain, I don't use any protection and just carry on shooting and the cameras seem to come through unscathed.

The only Nikon Pro Stuff that is not water resistant are the SB-Flashes. The contact block will be short cut.

Nikon Pro Lenses and Bodies (like the D500 with a 2.8/17-55 e.g.) are pretty much good for some mistreating...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 07:11:21 »
Thanks MFloyd, useful to have some specific links.

A link to the Optech rain sleeve: https://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html

Bruno Schröder

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 12:12:04 »
Nikon Pro Lenses and Bodies (like the D500 with a 2.8/17-55 e.g.) are pretty much good for some mistreating...

So I won't be taking any flashes Frank.

Most of the time I'll use the D500 with the 16-80mm.
(I've just received this from E-Infinity and am getting my head around its size & broad lens hood)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 13:17:36 »
A quick-thinking friend popped a spare garbage bag over my head which also helped.

I just re-read this and noticed this line!!!
A friend in need, indeed   ;D ;D ;D

I'll be taking some garbage bags to separate & protect stuff in my rucsac (and now, to keep my head dry too)

I'll follow up on the poncho.
Part of me was considering "breathable waterproofs" for me, but wondering about the bulk of them and whether it would still be like being inside a sauna in the high humidity in Costa Rica's July weather (I am hoping to do the 2 week trip with just a rucksac and small camerabag)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 13:45:52 »
I'll be taking some garbage bags to separate & protect stuff in my rucsac (and now, to keep my head dry too)

Usually garbage bags are black or very dark colors. I prefer the transparent type, very thin, used to put groceries in. Take a small roll of duct tape, you can tape the bag to the 16-80 hood, and everything inside the groceries bag will be readable (distance, zoom setting, ...), and settable/clickable. These thin bags come in rolls up to 500 pieces/roll (but you can rollyour-own: a smaller set, say 10-15 bags), and they're also useful in cold weather to seal the camera inside when you transition from an extemely cold area to an extremely hot area, keeping water condensation away. Not your case in rainforests, anyway worth mentioning...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.