Author Topic: NG Scotland 2019  (Read 44461 times)

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: NG Scotland 2019
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2019, 01:25:48 »
Images from near Glenelg, a small village in the west.

1. On the edge of the village.
2. Bernera Barracks - constructed in the early 1700s during a campaign by the British government to subdue the local population.
3. Bernera Barracks
4. Bernera Barracks
5. Remains of an Iron Age "broch" - drystone tower
6. Remains of a second Iron Age "broch" just 700 metres away
Mike Selby - Sydney

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2019, 03:57:59 »
Yes, been watching You Tube videos all afternoon.  :(

I've done a few modern FWD clutches, seems there's nothing too difficult with this one I don't think and I have all the gear, tools, etc.  It's driving OK again at present (I couldn't make it slip when I went out earlier.) but it will have to be done or the flywheel will suffer.  Darned nuisance, have plenty to do without fixing cars up.

On my way home my biggest worry was  getting up Glen Coe, it's quite steep towards the top.  I took it easy in second gear and managed OK.  The road had been cleared by an Aston Martin, two Ferraris and a very fast/powerful Toyota! I just followed them up in their wake.  They sounded very nice,  ;D  the sound of their exhausts echoing across the Glen.  I didn't fill up before Glen Coe to minimise the weight, however I forgot to top up in Tyndrum and consequently almost ran out of fuel on the motorway... It's a long way between services on the M74.

The trials and tribulations of those blessed souls addicted to fossil fuel powered contraptions. I love 'em!  8)
Carl

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2019, 07:09:53 »
The trials and tribulations of those blessed souls addicted to fossil fuel powered contraptions. I love 'em!  8)

They had exactly the same issues with horses, they had to be fed and watered,  they slipped and hurt themselves, needing to be brought home limping, if you were lucky... Wheels fell off carriages and harnesses snapped, it wasn't all sweetness and light before the fossil fuel powered contraptions.

I expect, even when we have renewable fuel powered contraptions they will have their own foibles and probably will not be able to be fixed with simple tools and a large hammer.  Hydrogen cells or batteries and the like, all have their own issues.

Until we can use 'beam ourselves' transportation these problems will occur.  Then the issue might be part of you might arrive at one place, the rest at another?  ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #228 on: May 20, 2019, 09:08:44 »
Images from near Glenelg, a small village in the west.

1. On the edge of the village.
2. Bernera Barracks - constructed in the early 1700s during a campaign by the British government to subdue the local population.
3. Bernera Barracks
4. Bernera Barracks
5. Remains of an Iron Age "broch" - drystone tower
6. Remains of a second Iron Age "broch" just 700 metres away

amazing series
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2019, 12:09:07 »
EDI Exit. Not brexit (yet).

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2019, 15:42:59 »
Until we can use 'beam ourselves' transportation these problems will occur.  Then the issue might be part of you might arrive at one place, the rest at another?  ;D

The marketing department will probably push this as a weight los scheme.  ::)
Carl

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2019, 16:12:21 »
The marketing department will probably push this as a weight los scheme.  ::)

;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2019, 09:41:11 »

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2019, 10:38:15 »
I am still overwhelmed by the Scottish experience 2019t time and the incredible and generous efforts made by Dave to provide the best opportunities for our NG members. A heartfelt thanks goes to him (and Mayumi, whom I met twice this time).

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #234 on: May 21, 2019, 11:41:29 »
I am still overwhelmed by the Scottish experience 2019t time and the incredible and generous efforts made by Dave to provide the best opportunities for our NG members. A heartfelt thanks goes to him (and Mayumi, whom I met twice this time).

I agree Birna, I was overcome when David told me he had arranged for a boat trip to Coruisk, we had discussed Coruisk last year, I had not dreamed of having the opportunity to actually make the trip, my son wants to go camping there, it's an amazing place, just to visit for an hour or so was wonderful.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2019, 12:03:52 »
Now I am home I am working through the image files, I wasn't sure how to deal with this set of star trails at the Eilean Donan Castle  I started photographing, took three exposures of the floodlit castle, then they turned the lights off at 23:45.  I use the 16mm f/2.8 fisheye for star trail scenes so the castle itself is a bit small.  I had intended to layer the floodlit castle onto the star trail composite image but having processed that image, I decided not to.  The illumination from the moon was sufficient to provide a slightly surreal foreground, layering in the floodlit castle would I think spoil it.

Eilean Donan Castle

216 exposures D800, 16mm f/2.8 fisheye at 10sec, f/4.0 ISO400, Processed in Lightroom Classic, stacked with StarStaX
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2019, 12:11:38 »
Bruno Schröder

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2019, 12:48:13 »
I am very grateful for all the thanks, but really there is no need - all the participants worked hard to make Scotland 2019 a success, so my thanks go to them, too. The weather was good, tho' hazy, and with some of Scotland's best landscapes within easy reach - Kintail ltself, Glenelg, Skye, Applecross and Torridon - and these factors were also impostant for the success of the get-together.

A last few images -
1. and 2.  Glen Shiel, early morning
3.  Chimping, Glen Coriusk,Skye
4.  Orchid, Coruisk
5.  Rowan, Skye
6.  Ruin, Glenelg7
7.  The Trotternish Fault

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:53 »
Wonderful image, Robert.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2019, 13:05:32 »
Glen Shiel in the morning was really worth a visit as I can see now. Magic light an scenery
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/