Author Topic: Cleaning a camera body  (Read 4080 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Cleaning a camera body
« on: July 26, 2015, 04:21:43 »
I've been selling some gear and will be selling more.  I've a question.  In Goa we have a fine red dust that gets absolutely every where.  In taking some images using a macro and lights I can see that the dust is in all of the spaces around the controls.  Do not really notice with the naked eye (even with my reading glasses  :) ) . 

There is much more on the cameras used for Sport and Wildlife... now that's a surprise ... lol .   I normally wipe the cameras/lens down when I come in.  Yesterday I tried using cotton Q-tips but just not small enough.  Is it a good idea to use compressed air an the body only? I'm concerned around the VF.   I've used it on computers but not cameras.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Tom
Edit:  I have tried a Rocket Blower and I am not talking about the Sensor/mirror box.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Cleaning a camera body
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 10:32:27 »
I'd try using a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment - after all you want to suck the dust out, not blow it in or around. I know it sounds weird, but surprisingly effective. Of course you wouldn't use this anywhere delicate like around the mirror.
Also try using a fine artist's paint brush - clean and dry - for dusting in very small, narrow gaps around seams and buttons. Hold the camera up and dust the underside so the dust fall down and out of the camera. Finish up by wiping with a slightly damp cloth to remove fingerprints.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:15:30 »
A soft, well-worn tooth brush in combination with a soft, well-worn cotton T-shirt.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:40:49 »
Roland and Bjorn, I've tried the Artist brush but not the vacuum cleaner.  I did start with soft cloth, but pretty hard to get it into the tiny crevices .  Then I went to very slightly damp Q-tips.  I think part of the problems is the heat and humidity I often shoot in.  The tiny particles seem to be stuck.  I can gently use a straight pin but a pain and need to do it under a magnifying glass .  I'll try the vacuum cleaner brush and a slightly stiffer tooth brush.  I'll also see what my guys at Nikon did last time.  I need to replace that rubber cover part for the connector pins on the D3S anyway.

I have several artist brushes , different sizes, that I try to use on the lenses and bodies when I come in but get lax on that with other things interfering with my time  :)

Interesting conversation with a perspective buyer about working cameras vs occasional hobbyist shooting .  A friend, professional underwater photographer, was over the other night
and commented on what good shape the cameras were in but he was not looking at the Macro lens images ... lol

Many thanks and will try the suggestions.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 13:50:43 »
To clean the narrow, complicated areas of my cameras or my guitars and basses, I use a small piece of tissue paper wrapped around a toothpick or sometimes a toothpick itself with its point a little unraveled.  You can adjust the sharpness and the shape of the point with a craft knife.  If you make the point flat (like that of a flat-blade screwdriver), then it is easier to make it unraveled a little to function as a very small brush.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 14:56:31 »
what you don´t get with the proposal made above you might try with sensor cleaning fluid  http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/sensorcleaning/
it will probably work as well beside the sensor, but as i look at it, it needs a flat surface to peel off

Another product is the old vinly record cleaning fluid http://www.discofilm.eu  which was if i remember right the basic product for developing sensor cleaning fluid  used by some taff "home cleaners"

The vinly product should help you with the small gaps cleaning. Avoid using pressurized air in cans, they might have areosols that stick on everything after drying
Thomas Stellwag

stenrasmussen

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 00:04:15 »
In addition to a brush, use something sticky (tape works well), press it down hard, remove and repeat.