Author Topic: An odd bird: Varo 75mm f1.6  (Read 1975 times)

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
An odd bird: Varo 75mm f1.6
« on: April 21, 2019, 20:03:35 »
PIcked this up on a lark from eBay cheap, and I can find no info on it. The lens is marked only "Varo 75mm f1.6" on the side is says "Made in Japan". I have no idea who made the lens, and have seen no other Japanese "Varo" lens. This one came with a C mount, but the mount was held on only by three set screws, so obviously it was mae to take different mounts. I managed to adapt it to Sony A7 and it covers FF easily, and looks like it might just make MF as well. Optically the lens has extremely good correction against CA. Not particualrly sharp, but good enough for jazz wide open, and gets considerably better by f2.8. Excellent contrast too.

Bokeh is interesting. I am generally a sucky for really edgy "nisen" bokeh, but I like the softness of this one, which is smooth without being bland. Here are a couple of quick shots, first at f1.6 and the second at f2.8. Any info on this lens highly appreciated.

ray_parkhurst

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: An odd bird: Varo 75mm f1.6
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 21:40:14 »

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 20:29:21 »
The one I bought was $150, which is cheapish considering the specs. That eBay seller has great lenses and absurd prices. The rear C mount is held in by three tiny set screws. If you loosen them, the whole adapter slips out. I found that a cheap Chinese helicoid that extends from 12-29mm fits perfectly in its place. This gives me the added advantage of being able to focus continuously to close to macro distances.

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 20:32:08 »
Here's one more. Still haven't had a chance to really take this lens for a walk

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 21:01:21 »
Here's one more. Still haven't had a chance to really take this lens for a walk

very nice!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 15:24:33 »
I like it too :)