Author Topic: New to the World of Nikon  (Read 3897 times)

coachjohn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
New to the World of Nikon
« on: April 21, 2019, 17:42:01 »
Hello from the Midwest!  Let me introduce myself...I am a teacher and a enthusiast photographer with a passion for wildlife, landscapes and flora. I shot Canon for the past 16 years, from my first digital body (10D) to the 5D IV...great bodies, great library of lenses, yet in recent years I felt they had begun to lag behind what other manufacturers were doing, most notably Nikon and Sony. Don't get me wrong...I think all of the manufacturers are putting out truly capable cameras these days...but for what I was looking for, Canon was beginning to fall short.  After sitting on the fence for two-three years, the release of the 500 PF was the nudge I needed to take the plunge.  I recently (last week!) sold all of my gear and bought the D500, the D850, the 500 PF, the 24-70E and the Sigma 70-200 Sport. The AF system on the Nikons was the single biggest deciding factor. Went on my first shoot for birds yesterday with the D500 and I wasn't disappointed...and the 500 PF is incredible. There weren't a lot of birds to be found, but I did get the opportunity to get a few images of a Great Egret that flew by...the attached image is full frame except for a bit cropped from the top.  I am new to BIF (this was only about my 5th outing with that in mind) and I need to work in my tracking (the AF was locking on to the wing more often than the head in Group AF...that's on me) and I look forward to the full potential of these two bodies.

Hoping to learn from the other photographers here.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: New to the World of Nikon
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 00:01:32 »
Welcome, coachjohn!

Nice shot of the egret.  I have my eye on the 500PF myself.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: New to the World of Nikon
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 15:31:24 »
Welcome to our friendly community!
Hans Cremers