Author Topic: A few spring flowers  (Read 2017 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
A few spring flowers
« on: April 19, 2019, 08:11:06 »
Shot with Fuji X-E3 and Zeiss Touit 1.8/32.  Processed in Capture One Express Fujifilm.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: A few spring flowers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 13:53:17 »
Spring earlier in Tokyo than Boston, I am still waiting. Like the last one the best.. quite nice.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 21:37:45 »
Spring earlier in Tokyo than Boston, I am still waiting. Like the last one the best.. quite nice.

Thank you, Bob.  Boston is located almost in the same altitude as Sapporo.  And it has been very warm or even a bit hot for a few days in Tokyo.

The last one maybe my favorite, too.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 15:34:08 »
Very nice shots Akira - and congrats with your new X-E3!

Very nice colors as well - are these processed from RAW or OOC JPG's?

I was very tempted to upgrade from my X-E1 to the X-E3 but got disappointed that Fuji hadn't added a flip screen. I might look at the X-T30 as an alternative but I actually prefer the rangefinder style of the X-E's.   

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 19:53:41 »
Very nice shots Akira - and congrats with your new X-E3!

Very nice colors as well - are these processed from RAW or OOC JPG's?

I was very tempted to upgrade from my X-E1 to the X-E3 but got disappointed that Fuji hadn't added a flip screen. I might look at the X-T30 as an alternative but I actually prefer the rangefinder style of the X-E's.   

Lars, thank you for kind words.

I process all X-E3 files in the free Capture One Express Fujifilm.  Capture One decodes the X-Trans sensor data just marvelously.

Actually I rather like the absence of the flip screen of X-E3.  I've used quite a few cameras either tilting or free-angle LCDs and do know how handy they are.  But, thanks to the very wide view angle of today's LCDs, I rarely miss the articulating screen.  Along with the fact that the four-way controler on the back is replaced with the joystick, I really love the simplicity of X-E3.  The four-way controller is transformed to the four-way swipe function on the touch screen, but I don't find any need to use it and turn it off.  I use the touch screen function only in the image preview mode.

I also like the flat-top design which looks less obtrusive than a DSLR design.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 21:15:57 »
from my European perspective this looks so "Japanese", as if you sucked in your cultural tradition and build your own style on it. How very interesting.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 22:12:18 »
from my European perspective this looks so "Japanese", as if you sucked in your cultural tradition and build your own style on it. How very interesting.

Frank, thank you for your interesting comment.  I haven't really tried to be Japanese just because I'm Japanese, and I'm not sure which part or aspect of these images looks "so" Japanese.  I'm glad that you see my "own" style in it, but could you elaborate the reason a little more?

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 22:35:43 »
If I might interject Akira, I also see the images as Japanese ish, in the sense of them being delicate and reminiscent of Oriental drawings and flower scenes I have seen in various forms, screens, pictures and decoration on pottery etc.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 23:02:57 »
Beautiful work Akira. There is a intangible harmony and simplicity on those images. Maybe what Frank is hinting but it is elusive for me too.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 23:04:29 »
I guess it is the way you see color
in these pictures I see calligraphy and
water color like I see them in traditional
Japanese style decorative art

Robert: exactly

Paco: the pictures seem to trigger a European perspective on Japan. David Paterson should be able to lay his fingers on it or Mike Shelby, who have both lived in Japan for long periods but also know Europe well
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 02:05:23 »
Lovely images Akira !
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 12:04:23 »
If I might interject Akira, I also see the images as Japanese ish, in the sense of them being delicate and reminiscent of Oriental drawings and flower scenes I have seen in various forms, screens, pictures and decoration on pottery etc.

Beautiful work Akira. There is a intangible harmony and simplicity on those images. Maybe what Frank is hinting but it is elusive for me too.

I guess it is the way you see color
in these pictures I see calligraphy and
water color like I see them in traditional
Japanese style decorative art

Robert: exactly

Paco: the pictures seem to trigger a European perspective on Japan. David Paterson should be able to lay his fingers on it or Mike Shelby, who have both lived in Japan for long periods but also know Europe well

Robert, Paco and Frank, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I'm definitely inspired by the Japanese and Chinese drawings, although I think I'm equally inspired by the western drawings and photographs.  Hope those influences enhance each other in me.

And, indeed, I always love the simplicity.  My motto is: the less information, the more room for imagination, which corresponds to my signature below.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 12:05:38 »
Lovely images Akira !

Bill, I'm glad you like the images!

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 13:35:11 »
Akira, i like your gentle approach to your flowers as much as i like the irregular blur circles in the out of focus areas!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 23:14:11 »
Akira, i like your gentle approach to your flowers as much as i like the irregular blur circles in the out of focus areas!

Thank you, Jakov!  The Touit shows very smooth bokeh right in front of and behind the focused area and very characteristic one further behind it, which could be well manageable.