Author Topic: Notre Dame  (Read 6687 times)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Notre Dame
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 13:11:28 »
It wasn't only The Cathedral, but most of Paris ! It was Malraux (Minister of Culture at that time) who brought up laws for every buildings to be cleaned up ! The Marais district was so black, dark and shabby looking with it's narrow streets, that my wife as a child didn't like to visit some family who lived there. It was spooky !
Yep, I'm old enough to remember that, such as the slums where now stands the Pompidou center ! When I was a student, the statistics showed that there was one shower for thirty flats... Since we have had a bathroom boom  :o

That cleaning spur has aggravated all those limestones, getting off the thin calcite protection made by time, air and pollution, rendering those stones very vulnerable to rain and sudden icing. Those "cleaning" works took more then a dozen years on Notre Dame, because of the variety of stone used (several origins), some of those crumbling in sand when cleaned (usually high pressure water with sand). Since then I've always seen scaffolding or works on different parts of the Cathedral, changing stone parts...!

It's quite incredible to realize that in a 30 to 60 years span, an old city can be so changed that most people who lived those changes, have almost forgotten all about them.
For the pictures, H.Cartier-Bresson, Boubat, Lartigue, Dosineau have all recorded those times  8)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 13:20:33 »
The lost spire from Viollet-le-Duc, through a remake of "the kiss"...

D3x and 50mm f/1.8 AF-D
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 13:24:52 »
The familiar winter walk....

D3x and 50mm/f1.8 AF-D

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2019, 13:28:41 »
Or in summer...

D3x and 105mm f/2.8 VR

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2019, 14:21:13 »
Wow Airy, you must be quite an ancient guy!  ;D
I didn´t know Notre Dame was black in the past.
Does anybody has a picture of it?

most churches were black, some are still black. later came the sandblast treatment and washed many churches to reveal the original stone color...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 18:24:41 »
Wow Airy, you must be quite an ancient guy!  ;D

Vintage 1957.
Airy Magnien

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 19:09:12 »
Vintage 1957.

1962 here.
When I made this joke with you I thought the cathedral was black back in the 19th century.
I wish I could see a picture of it.
 ;)
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 22:48:10 »
No, I think the "blackness" became much worse until the fifties, with coal pollution being replaced by exhaust gas pollution...
Airy Magnien

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2019, 02:30:10 »
here is an example from the 60s, see how dark the bottom part is, especially:

this was found here: http://paris1900.lartnouveau.com/paris04/notre_dame/parvis_notre_dame.htm

and in the 50s:

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 02:53:03 »
Merci beaucoup Olivier.
Reminds me of the Cathedral of Köln. The first time I visited Köln I was puzzled by the black stone the cathedral was made of. I wondered if it was volcanic. Now I know it´s just coal pollution.
And yes, the "openings" of the left tower are wider than the right ones.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

michel

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 08:33:25 »
Vintage 1957.

Best year indeed. ;D

I was lucky to visit in 1974.

Notre Dame, shot with my new D700, in 2010.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 09:21:04 »
Merci beaucoup Olivier.
Reminds me of the Cathedral of Köln. The first time I visited Köln I was puzzled by the black stone the cathedral was made of. I wondered if it was volcanic. Now I know it´s just coal pollution.
And yes, the "openings" of the left tower are wider than the right ones.

coal and Diesel exhaust
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/