Author Topic: My introduction  (Read 4097 times)

Richard_Creger

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
My introduction
« on: March 22, 2019, 21:32:20 »
Greetings from Minneapolis, Minnesnowta!

I only got into digital photography in the last few years, stubbornly holding onto my old film cameras from the '70s and early '80s. (I have a drawer full of old Canon film gear btw)

This is a story of incremental steps: My interest in digital started with a basic point and shoot that I was using to take product photos for my side business and deep dissatisfaction with the results. I bought my first Nikon, a minty condition D3300 (less than 200 shutter actuations!) from eBay three years ago, bundled with the typical pair of kit lenses, the 18-55mm, and the 55-200mm. The results were definitely better than the point and shoot, but I wasn't super pleased with them. The more I used the D3300, the more hemmed in I began to feel. I shot a couple of weddings with it for free (my son and my brother in law) and really started to see that I needed a better camera.

A chance encounter a few months ago with a pro photographer led to a discussion of Nikon's in general. He was of the opinion that the D3300 is a capable body, but the glass in front of it can make all the difference. I followed his advice and acquired a used Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD from Adorama. The Sigma lens instantly became my favorite. Moving to f2.8 has really "kicked things up a notch".

Last week I bought a used D7100 locally for a song from a video blogger who used it for a short time to mostly shoot video, but replaced it with a mirrorless system and had only gotten around to offloading it. I haven't done any product photos with it yet, but the test photos I have done in the last few days are making me very happy.

That's my story of how I got sucked into the Nikon world; I found NikonGear while looking for information about adapting lenses.

I am far from an accomplished photographer, but not a newbie either.
Will take portraits for food.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: My introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 21:52:15 »
Greetings from Minneapolis, Minnesnowta!

I only got into digital photography in the last few years, stubbornly holding onto my old film cameras from the '70s and early '80s. (I have a drawer full of old Canon film gear btw)

This is a story of incremental steps: My interest in digital started with a basic point and shoot that I was using to take product photos for my side business and deep dissatisfaction with the results. I bought my first Nikon, a minty condition D3300 (less than 200 shutter actuations!) from eBay three years ago, bundled with the typical pair of kit lenses, the 18-55mm, and the 55-200mm. The results were definitely better than the point and shoot, but I wasn't super pleased with them. The more I used the D3300, the more hemmed in I began to feel. I shot a couple of weddings with it for free (my son and my brother in law) and really started to see that I needed a better camera.

A chance encounter a few months ago with a pro photographer led to a discussion of Nikon's in general. He was of the opinion that the D3300 is a capable body, but the glass in front of it can make all the difference. I followed his advice and acquired a used Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD from Adorama. The Sigma lens instantly became my favorite. Moving to f2.8 has really "kicked things up a notch".

Last week I bought a used D7100 locally for a song from a video blogger who used it for a short time to mostly shoot video, but replaced it with a mirrorless system and had only gotten around to offloading it. I haven't done any product photos with it yet, but the test photos I have done in the last few days are making me very happy.

That's my story of how I got sucked into the Nikon world; I found NikonGear while looking for information about adapting lenses.

I am far from an accomplished photographer, but not a newbie either.

Welcome, Richard. I have that sigma on my D7200, and I'm happy with it. Post some results from your setup.
Carl

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 23:26:02 »
Welcome to NG. It is a great place to learn and share.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 23:26:15 »
Welcome to the peaceful corner of cyberspace which constitutes NG. Lots of new and old hands are found here.