Author Topic: The "Aerochrome" thread  (Read 4295 times)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
The "Aerochrome" thread
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:32:37 »
Hopefully this topic will consist of pictures emulating the "aerochrome"-effect from the now discontinued Kodak film. I can not claim deep knowledge about this topic, but I love the effect the film has in creating an otherworldly feeling of a scene. Here is how Kodak marketed the film back in the days;"False-color reversal film, high dimensional stability for vegetation surveys, camouflage detection and earth resources.
KODAK AEROCHROME III Infrared Film 1443 (DISCONTINUED) is an infrared-sensitive, false-color reversal film featuring medium resolving power and fine grain."
Kolari vision has now released a filter (IR chrome) to mimic the effect. To get the most out this filter one have to use it in conjunction with a full spectrum converted camera. This is not the only way to mimic the aerochrome film and other routes to the same effect is equally interesting. If you contribute, please leave your recipe with the image.
I have only used the filter for one day and this is some results so far. The key to obtain a good starting point for further processing seem to be, getting a custom WB off a CCP (ColorChecker passport) with the filter mounted. Apart from that I have done minor tweaks in LR.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: The "Aerochrome" thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:44:14 »
very beautiful picture style. I love it.

question: is it necessary to full spectrum a camera, use a dedicated filter and calibrate accordingly just for the fun and aesthetic pleasure?

I understand the technique is very useful in environmental research, military research and exploration ... for aesthetic reasons quite possibly a false color profile could to the trick which can be obtained by scanning a negative taken with said film of a standard target to know the "color correction".

OK, here is how (simple recipee): https://www.lifepixel.com/photo-tutorials/emulate-look-aerochrome-film

PS: note that this is done with an IR converted camera.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:58:03 »
As recording of [near] infrared is the key factor in any true or emulated 'Aerochrome' capture, I'm afraid using a non-modified camera will not work. One needs some kind of filtration to remove blue and UV, just like in the ancient film days on Ektachrome IE and EIR stock. Otherwise the entire image is overlaid with ugly hues of cyan and magenta.

This view of the Rondane mountain range of southern Norway is captured by my old 200-400mm f/4 Nikkor-ED (non-IF) on a full-spectrum D600, using orange O-56 filter. The IR component adds extra depth to landscapes.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:49 »
Thank you, Birna. I learn the IR conversion, the lifepixel author prefers is the Super Color Conversion https://www.lifepixel.com/photography-gear/first-shoot-super-color-filter
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:12:20 »
Here is an example captured with my D40x IR 720nm. Colors of vegetation turned red during editing based on existing color differences resulting from the near visible infrared exposure.  It is also captured form the air  :)

Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 09:18:30 »
Øivind: very beautiful composition!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 09:38:20 »
An indicator of whether the "true"(sic) false colours have been attained is to note most red-painted subjects turn green or even yellow, whilst sky has a natural blue appearance.

16mm f/2.8 fisheye, Fuji S5Pro (full-spectrum). O56 filter.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:17:14 »
Øivind: very beautiful composition!
Thanks Frank.

Very nice sunflowers, Birna.

Børge, the aerochrome effect also including of the kelp in the second on is quite interesting.
Øivind Tøien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 11:53:32 »
Arable land thawing out in early spring. A good example of the added 'pop' brought about by the false colours.

Nikkor 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5, O-56 filter, Fuji S3Pro (full-spectrum)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 11:54:32 »
I noticed that as well Øyvind. Interesting pictures both from Birna and Øyvind. Hopefully I am able to capture some interesting scenes as I get used to the effect provided by the filter and what tweaking makes the best outcome of the file. Good lighting conditions would help as well ;) As I drove my son to the train (he was traveling to Trondheim to join thousands of other youngsters, in a school strike to make our politicians take a more serious approach on climate change) I couldn't help wondering how we allow the car to be such a major influence on our landscape? This scene was captured as I passed an area where I roamed the woods in search of bird nests, played soccer on the natural mudflats, fished for salmon and hunted ducks just 30 years ago. Getting sentimental..

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 14:50:42 »
Lest we forget the roots of the current 'Aerochrome' upsurge, it pays to see what the film looked like. And I'm thinking of the first IE (Infrared Ektachrome) to be processed in E-4, not the later EIR version that arrived some twenty years later and designed for process AR-5, but most users did process it in E-6. And got truly garish colours as a "bonus".

The IE film had very high contrast, highlights that easily bleed, and much gentler colour rendition than most emulated 'Aerochrome' pictures shown today. Mostly we used a medium yellow filter (Wratten 12) with the film to bring forth the most pleasant colour scale and still keep sky a nice blue.

The exposure latitude of Ie was extremely narrow and getting proper exposed slides a nightmare. The easiest way was to standardise on the shooting conditions, typically selecting mid day with rather flat sunlight and avoid too much scene contrast. Alternatively, bracket a lot and get broke on film and processing costs.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 15:12:36 »
Most of the time in those long forgotten years, I used IE to record vegetational patterns in rivers and lakes. Mainly, those aerial images are no longer available to me since I left my former research position. Amongst the few is this example from a vegetational-choked river.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 16:32:23 »
Hopefully this topic will consist of pictures emulating the "aerochrome"-effect from the now discontinued Kodak film. I can not claim deep knowledge about this topic, but I love the effect the film has in creating an otherworldly feeling of a scene. Here is how Kodak marketed the film back in the days;"False-color reversal film, high dimensional stability for vegetation surveys, camouflage detection and earth resources.

While details of the original Kodak film are interesting, could we have a little information about the filter itself please, I can't find the initial mention of the Aerochrome filter in the previous thread, I don't recall any links or sourcing info, other than Birna has ordered one.

I have a full spectrum D200 and this might be a good option to use with it.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 18:13:21 »
Wow, this thread has already been quite intriguing!  Thank you, Børge, for initiating the dedicated thread!

While details of the original Kodak film are interesting, could we have a little information about the filter itself please, I can't find the initial mention of the Aerochrome filter in the previous thread, I don't recall any links or sourcing info, other than Birna has ordered one.

I have a full spectrum D200 and this might be a good option to use with it.

Robert, Google is a friend (sometimes).  Searching with "IR chrome filter" yieds much info.

https://kolarivision.com/product/kolari-vision-ir-chrome-lens-filter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbDNC-lqZY

And here is a review comparing the images using the filter and the ones shot with Kodak IE:

https://mymodernmet.com/kolari-vision-aerochrome-lens-filter/
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 19:57:00 »
To be precise: the comparison is against Kodak EIR, not IE, film. Which really means a difference.

My hopes for something magically transforming scenery into the IE universe are slowly declining. Jury is out until the Kolari filter actually arrives here, of course.

I ordered a 67mm filter and obviously it still is in the pre-order, not yet produced, category. A pity since they eagerly grabbed my money. The Kolari site indicates a batch to be made in "April" and I do hope this is April, 2019.