Author Topic: Re chip Samyang 14mm F2.8 For Z7 ? can you ?  (Read 1173 times)

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
Re chip Samyang 14mm F2.8 For Z7 ? can you ?
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:21:56 »
When I tested out the Z7 with my 14mm Samyang 2.8 (manual) and adaptor the whole camera went mad . I was not impressed .(did not work with Tam 100-400 either).
As the Samyang has a simple banana chip in the mount I wonder if that could be prised off and one of the chips available here fitted. I am sure it could but will NG  chips work with Z7.
I have had bad experience with banana chips from ebay ..not the fitting but the programming has ended up in 2 out of 3 occasions with them locked up and useless.
Advice would be appreciated
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Re chip Samyang 14mm F2.8 For Z7 ? can you ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:26:05 »
I have had no issues with any of my CPU-modified ('chipped') manual lenses on the FTZ, either on Z6 or Z7.

Making the assumption 'banana chip' equals a Dandelion chip, my only lens with that chip (50mm f/1.2 Nikkor) behaves properly on the FTZ as well.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 13:07:22 »
Perhaps you could PM me with a price and can it be pre programmed so it only needs fitting ?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 13:16:50 »
Unfortunately, my chips are all sold out.

Have you the latest firmware for FTZ/Z7?

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:54:14 »
let me know when you have stock...I tried it on a Z7  at a demo day ..the rep said it would not work when I put it on . What you are saying is try again with the latest version. My experience turned me to buy a D850  and I am very pleased with it particularly on the 200-500.
Thanks for your interest.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 09:44:58 »
I believe that all third party lenses from Zeiss and Samyang etc. are reverse engineered CPU copies of Nikon's own CPU some of the brands may have a license to manufacture them of course.

Also, none of them are using Nikon contact blocks or pins. All of them seem to differ in design and materials.
The Nikon contact blocks are of an extremely durable design, material and high production quality.

The Dandelion CPU are sold separately and not implemented by any lens makers, you can also buy F-Mounts where they are glued on.

I believe Bananas and Dandelions are different  ::) :o 8)  and that is why some third party lenses will show problems on Z cameras

Erik Lund