Author Topic: Nikon 1 replacement?  (Read 5345 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Nikon 1 replacement?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 08:40:01 »
Thank you for the timely info!  I'm looking at moving from DX to FX, and I was looking for a way to get a little more reach out of my 300 for a similar reason...  I was considering a TC vs Nikon 1 and had no idea the J5 had this issue!  Narrows down the options for sure...

Mike

Why not look into the Fujis.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 10:19:15 »
Thank you for the timely info!  I'm looking at moving from DX to FX, and I was looking for a way to get a little more reach out of my 300 for a similar reason...  I was considering a TC vs Nikon 1 and had no idea the J5 had this issue!  Narrows down the options for sure...

If your 300 is not an f/2.8 it will most likely work with the J5. See the compatibility list here: https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/lenses/mount_adapter_ft1/compatibility.htm

The exceptions for the J5 are at the bottom.
Kim

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 12:47:02 »
These incompatibility lists tend to be a mixture of unproved assumptions and real issues.

For example, among the Nikkors listed as incompatible with the FT-1, the 19/4 PC-E ED works well directly on the adapter, and so does the 20/2.8 and 24/2.8 if their protruding max.aperture indicator flange on the rear is trimmed. The 24/3.5 PC-E is truly incompatible due to its form factor, though.

Thus one always has to try in practice with a given combination of adapter and lens before declaring the use is "impossible".

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 10:01:59 »
I have a lot of  Nikon 1 equipment, but only use it occasionally.
Does it have any reasonable sales value?
I may want to keep some of it for time lapse. But the V2 doesn’t do time lapse, so the V2 and a 70-300 could be candidates for a sell. It is a nice compact “safari kit”.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 10:05:17 »
Get a camera IR-converted (with filter inside). That should provide lots of fun to play around with.

Personally I'm particular to the little V1 as a walk-around camera when I don't feel having loads of gear with me. Actually I use the various CX-format cameras more now than when I initially purchased them.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:38 »
Bent and Kim, may I suggest we or the two of you meet up for coffee and chat about and test the Nikon1 V2
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 11:24:12 »
Birna and Erik, good suggestions.
I am actually using both V1 as time lapse, so maybe the V2 could be converted ???
Maybe we can have a talk about this in Scotland, as there will be time for "nearding"

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 11:45:49 »
Bent and Kim, may I suggest we or the two of you meet up for coffee and chat about and test the Nikon1 V2

Great idea Erik! Unfortunately, I am not joining the Scotland trip, but we could meet at my place in Charlottenlund. Right now, I am less mobile because of a broken Achilles tendon.

I bought a V3 to replace the stolen V2. I made a test with it on the 500 mm + TC-20 E-III. It looks quite promising!
Kim

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 11:55:07 »
Great idea Erik! Unfortunately, I am not joining the Scotland trip, but we could meet at my place in Charlottenlund. Right now, I am less mobile because of a broken Achilles tendon.

I bought a V3 to replace the stolen V2. I made a test with it on the 500 mm + TC-20 E-III. It looks quite promising!
Sorry to hear about your achilles, but I could take the small trip from Hvidovre, we just need to find a date, I will PM you.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 10:20:25 »
We now have a scheduled date for a 'Long lens Nikon1' evening the three of us  ;D  we will report back after that  ;)
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 10:50:01 »
Super -- a Danish micro-NG meetup :D looking forward already to the report.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 14:11:22 »
So, meeting was yesterday evening, very nicely hosted by Kim who also treated us with delicious Goat in Oil well as other delicious fine food and vine. Wonderful evening and a few surprises, conclusions and even more questions to be answered in the furture,,, for sure we will meet up again and also look into further larger NikonGear events.

Here some images:

The chimney test,,, stainless steel pipe with spot welds in the focus zone,,, here the D850 at ISO 800 Nikkor 500mm f/4 AFS VR and TC20E mark III i guess,,,
On tripod with gimbal, so not optimal support but fairly realistic for what might be handy to haul around ;)

The same but 100% crop

The rest of images are just to show off the good mood and atmosphere ;)

Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 15:11:44 »
Shooting conditions look perfect :D

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 15:55:44 »
Certainly a pleasant get-together, where I learnt quite a few things about sensor technology.

Here is the Nikon 1 V3 on the 500/4 AFS VR + TC-20E III. @ ISO 720, 100 % crop. Manual focus.
Kim

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 16:07:33 »
The Nikon 1 V3 on 500/4 AFS (no converter) @ISO 400. 100% crop.
Kim